Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

My 1997 JLG40 H little by little quit working from the

My 1997 JLG40 H...

My 1997 JLG40 H little by little quit working from the platform. Day before yesterday I got it to work for a minute: I had to get it back down before it quit me. Hydraulic fluid is full. I checked it because it started jerking. Checked kill switch and foot switch for continuity: both good. When I step on foot switch, engine speeds up and goes back down- then up and down.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1997 40H.#053343.(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can’t think of anything else right now.

3/5/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I don’t normally work on these, but I can try to assist you where I can. Did you still need assistance with this? Or do you prefer to work with a tech that knows the equipment better?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Geremy: this is Richard- I would like for you to call me if you would. You are right about the see hear smell & feel deal.
Don
Don, Fleet Manager

hi richard my name is don i will try to help you on this

i see that you have a 40 ft manlift

what functions do not work on the platform ? all of them, ?some of them ?

what did you have to do to make it work ?

Don

i also have you maintenance manual open did you need a copy ?

Don

hi there here is your copy of the manual

https://csapps.jlg.com/onlinemanuals/manuals/jlg/jlg%20boom%20lifts/100_110hx/service_3120636_03-11-10_ansi_english.pdf

Hi Richard

if you look at section 3 that is the trouble shooting section there i see there is some troubleshooting tips and procedures

Have a look

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Call me Don:thanks; Richard
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Call me Don: thanks; Richard

sorry i do not have long distance to the usa

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m doing physical therapy right now Don. I’ll connect with you at around 2:00 pm today.

Hi there sure thing hope your physio goes good

will talk then

Have a great day

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Don: I’m looking at sec. 3 in the book now. I looked at no power to platform controls. I tried a jumper wire in the control box. No luck yet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah Don: by the way, everything works fine at ground control except travel; of course.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning Don: this is Richard- any more ideas yet ? After looking in the manual, I’m wanting to think the foot switch might be the problem even though I jumped across it and it didn’t work. What now ?

Hi there Richard

i have also looked at the manual extensively and your right it seams to be pointing in that direction for sure if all else works

also you mentioned that you did something to get it working so y ou could come down

what did you do was it with the foot switch ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was with the foot switch. For the record: nothing in the platform can work without the foot switch depressed. Normally, when I step on the foot switch, the engine speeds up to- I’m guessing - around 2 or 3,000 rpm’s . To get it to work the other day I just held the foot switch down and then all of a sudden the engine started to speed up a little, then a little more and then a little more until it speeded up to high speed. That’s when it started working with a little jerky and that’s when I let it down before it quit me. ( when it does quit, you can still let it down with 12 volt power)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Don: I just thought of something. In order for the 12 V. system to work- the foot switch has to be depressed, the kill switch has to be pulled out, the spring loaded 12 V. switch has to be pushed up, that’s when you work one of the control levers. I think I’ll go out and try that and if that works, I think the problem might be down towards the engine compartment. I think something has to exite the engine to speed it up to make the platform charged.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant: if that doesn’t work. !!

Hi there Richard

thanks for that great information

give it a shot and let me know

ours works at idle as well but you never know ,if might be the peddle still but at least we do have the manual and wiring schematics to work with

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah Don : I’ll check it out and get back to you. Have a good one !!!

Hi there Richard hope your day is going well i look forward to hearing from you

Have a great day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning : yes Don, it’s good talking to you too. I couldn’t make it out to work on the manlift yesterday. Too much pain. I guess I didn’t tell you that I had my right shoulder operated on 2 months ago. Last September I fell on it and tore 2 muscles in two on the rotator cuff and I’m having to take pain pills and physical therapy for it so I have to be careful with it for a while. I’m going out to try to work on it at around 2:00 this afternoon and I’ll let you know what or if I find out. J
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the way Don; where are you ? It is beautiful here today in Corning, California-hazzy and 66 degrees. Just curious.

Hi there Dang did not know that

you take care and heal that shoulder do not do something that will re injure it

i am in no big panic so let me know when you can but first take care of you

Don

hi there

i am in northern canada

we have 4 feet of snow on the farm and -19

man wish i was there you ned a mechanic lol

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I could: hey; I have family in Canada. My wife was born in Regina, Saskatchewan and ended up in Kelowna. B.C. (we still have a house there) i have a step daughter in Kelowna and Kamloops and a step son in Grand Prairie. If you would like, give me your phone number and I can call you there for free.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you are not allowed to do that: no problem.

hi there J.A. will not allow us to post our personnel phone numbers

sorry would love to

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s ok: I kinda suspected something like that. Can you tell me the part of the country you’re in.

sure i can i live by smoky lake 1.5 hours north east of Edmonton

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s pretty neat Don because we have really good friends that live in Edmonton. In fact they came down here for our wedding ( 2-22-2015) we will be coming to Edmonton some time this Summer. Since we are kinda free as the breeze,I wouldn’t mind coming up to Smoky Lake and checking it out. My wife said she’s been there before. From there we’ll be heading south to North Dakota, Georgia, Little Rock, Taxes, etc. & California.

hi there sounds good

look forward to meeting you ***@******.*** wqe also look after two campgrounds

how are you travelling

Coffee Pot always on

Don

We also have a few antiques here as well

1960 Lil loafer ,travel trailer 1965 airstream , 1946 MCI bus motor home conversion

1968 chevelle and 1968 Buick Riviera

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good Don. I’ll be pulling a 35 ft. travel trailer (2003) I can park it just about anywhere, with a 2014 Dodge Ram dually. And- just for the record- I do drink coffee and Bussssch.

Hi there we have a farm lots of places to plug in 160 acres and 10 Acres around the house we have a fire pit and old tunes if your up to it

or if you want by the lake my wife runs the camp ground but no serves there

Have a great day

Don

you got the semloh thing right ?

Hi there

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page.

Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required Many thanks

Don
Don, Fleet Manager
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put my rating in. I hope that I put it in right. On the semloh, I don’t know. My wife put it in the computer and 4 different things came up. What are we looking for ?

hi there

hi there sounds good

look forward to meeting you***@******.*** wqe also look after two campgrounds that

let me know if you can read

don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure I can read. But what am I looking for ? What is the wqe for ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My email address is. ***@******.***.

sorry wqe was only supposed to be we

don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, I got it ok on my phone. My wife is on the computer trying to find us a motel down in Long Beach, Ca. We’re going on a cruise to Mexico the 7 th of March. So she’s been on the computer for 2 days now. I can still get all my mail on my phone though. Talk later-gotta go work on manlift.

sounds good

be safe

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning Don: yesterday checking croded secondary wire connected to battery and broke the post connector off. It was a good thing anyway. It was one of those get-me-by kind, so I just hack sawed it off and soldered on a new one. I checked for loose connections- just by wriggling and looking every thing looked ok. The only thing I noticed at all was from the platform when I pushed the emergency kill button to kill it, it didn’t die quickly. It took like 2-3 seconds for it to even come close to trying to die. So I gotta check that out somehow. Won’t get much done on it today so maybe you could think of something else. I still have to pull the front of the dashboard out in engine compartment and check for problems. It may be just a solenoid bad; I don’t know, gotta go to physical therapy in an hour then to the shoulder doctor @ 3:30.

ok thanks for that information

take care of that shoulder

i think now it a matter of of an ohm meter and see what the pedal reaction time is plus

step by step process i guess

wish i was close by i am good with electrical but har4d when you do not see the machine lol

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah it would be handy if you were here to do the electrical. I don’t know anything about ohms, only continuity. I guess I can bring it up there. If anything else comes to mind let me know. I’ll get back on it tomorrow. Have a goodern. Talk later: Richard.

Continuity is the same thing sorry its a canadian thing

have a great day

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Don: I worked on the manlift all afternoon and didn’t accomplish a darn thing. I opened up the control panel and traced wires till I was blind. I jumped across the kill switch and while stepping on the foot pedal I’m checking for continuity from and to the kill switch and the foot switch. It’s crazy. When I step on the foot switch 1/2 way down the test light goes out then when I step all the way down on the foot switch the test light comes on dim. I wriggled wires on all connections to make sure they were a good fit. I took the dashboard apart in engine compartment and checked the 3 breakers for loose connections and I even pulled the wires off the breakers and jumped across them. No luck yet. Right now I’m tired and at a standstill. Give me some more ideas Don. I think I’ve tried everything you told me to do. So; what’s next ??? Other than all that I feel pretty good. How bout you ?

Hi there thanks for all that news i guess

i will have to now regroup and think it through

unless there is a dead spot in that pedal

how many wires go to the pedal ?

don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 total- a hot, a ground, and 2 more. The 2 more come from the foot switch and hook into the long bar of 38 wire hook ups in two different locations.

dang i was hoping that there were less as i was going to get you to hook in a manual rheostat

in line and see if all the functions work

that would eliminate the pedal portion if it with them then the pedal would be the problem if not then some where out there lol

don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That would be great if I knew how and where to hook up the rheostat. I’m just wondering about those other 2 wires, because when I hooked the test light to the wire bar it was just dim when pushed all the way down. It really did remind me of a rheostat cause it was dim. Either that or the foot switch is not making a good connection. It’s funny because on one of the two wires from the foot switch is on bright till I step on the foot switch then it goes out. HELLLPPPP

I think there maybe a short in the Pedal

and i guess there is not a place there where you could take the service dept to lend or rent a peday to see huh

plus the rheostat would be a crap shoot but i can usually get around them and isolate circuits

but hard to explain that process on here or on phone

might have to come down for a holiday lol get away from the snow

i have had so many breaks in some units i just take out the old harness and build my own

Have a great Night

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Get that ole harness out rivet it up put some neatsfoot oil on it and your ready to go. Talk later. Good night.

night

don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good evening Don. Well- it’s like this: I’ve got good news and I’ve got some bad news. Hopefully I’ll explain it better tomorrow. The bad news is; I just came in and I’m tired. The good news is: I found the problem. By jumping across wires, the problem is the foot switch. I moved the machine up and down, back and forth, round and around. It takes 2 people to operate it though. But it will go. I’m happy and I’ll fix it thanks to you. Gotta some dinner talk later.

Hi there thanks for the update

we kind of figured it was the foot switch by your explanation

it has a dead spot in it

i am not sure if you can take them apart and repair its been quite awhile

But atleast its isolated now

Have a great day

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning Don: yeah it’s one of the foot switch switches. I have to hold a jumper wire on the wire bar and step on the foot switch then I can operate it. I’ve got some big trees in my yard I’ve gotta get pruined in the next two weeks and it takes two hands to operate it properly so I’m going to get by, by hooking the two wires to a toggle switch on the dash that doesn’t work anything. I WILL fix it rite before it’s all over.

Morning

Glad to hear that is an easy fix

we did to good of a job i just work my self out of a chance to work where its warm lol

Have a great day

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You can come here when ever you want. We have water and electric here too and plenty of room ( 200 acres). You say you have a fire pit and old tunes ? Tell me about it.

Hi THere

we also have 160 acres here i have set up a place in the yard to have a nice fire at night

i was a disc jockey for years and i have 400 cd;s talot of 50,60,70, type of music

we play out there

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good. We like older traditional country music. We’re going to go to Spruce Grove, Ab. the long weekend in August to see The bluegrass festival then to Edmonton for a few days then to your place.

sounds good i also have the county stuff as well

including original Hank Williams senior

don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We were wondering how old you might be by having older ideas ? I’ll be 73 in June.

Hi there i am 2 years past retirement

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fixin to go to physical therapy. Talk later and thanks: Richard

Have fun

Be safe

Don

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Don, it’s like this: back from physical therapy, worked on man lift. Bypassed foot switch to the switch I told you about on dash. Working really good with foot switch and the dash switch. Like the old saying goes: “ I’ll fix it tomorrow “ . Thanks for all your help Don. Now— for the serious stuff. How can we communicate without having to go through the company. I told you that I can call you for free from down here. Let me know.

Hi there

i sent you an e-mail

Don
Don
Don, Fleet Manager