Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

I have a jlg boom lift 40. Its a 40' w ajn, my question is…

Customer Question
I have a jlg...

I have a jlg boom lift 40

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Its a 40' w ajn, my question is how do i no if its charging? will the yellow light come on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its on a trailer in front of my house.... i can't get it off because the batteries only have one led bar... yes...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

Which one is positive & negative on the battery bank?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
1/12/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

You have 4, 6-volt batteries? Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage? Does battery voltage increase when the charger is plugged in? If battery voltage is below 18 volts, the internal relay in charger will not close and the charger will not start the charge cycle. You can use an automotive charger to build up the battery pack voltage, so the main charger will come on.

I think the batteries were getting a good connection... I've cleaned all the connections, and changed the plug end for good measure...now the yellow light is on...it's been charging for 1-1/2 hours, & still only have one led bar... I can move stuff from the base of the machine, but I get nothing at the jib... does it just need more time to charge, before it'll give power to the jib? I'm about to buy 4 deep cycle batteries, wire them in a series, & at least try to get it unloaded... do u think that'd work?
Sorry, I mean they probably weren't getting a good connection..

If the pump motor is running, the jib should work. Is the pump motor coming on when you try it? Did you check voltage on the battery pack? You don't want to run the motor with less than 24 volts.