Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

How can I control the voltage on a Self Excited Generator…

Customer Question
How can I control the...
How can I control the voltage on a Self Excited Generator without drastically reducing amperage?
The Generator is homebuilt based on a 3 phase 40hp Reliance Induction motor- Tag indicates 47 amps @460 Volt @1750 RPM.Technical:
Generator is wired in WYE format.
Generator is spun to 1800 RPM and generates power at 60 HZ on all tests.
System has a capacitor bank of 3 - 100 uf Capacitors wired in series.
Capacitor Layout: L1 to Cap 1 & 2, L2 to Cap 1 & 3, and L3 to Cap 2 & 3
Output Voltage: In excess of 350 Volts per Leg 600+ across any 2 Poles
Output Amperage: 35+ Amps per LegI noted on a Coleman 5k generator I had, that the voltage went over 330 volts and they replaced the regulator and it was back to 220 Volt output. I realize the other genset had exciter coils so the systems are very different but, that leads me to believe there still should be a way to control the high voltage - short of cutting back the capacitor values. I ended up going by voltage and at 280 Volts allowed only 40 uf caps to be used with abyssimal output of 11 amps (per Leg).So, is there a regulator adaptable to this beast or a method of wiring the system to make it work more efficiently. This is now an 18 month long project and shows promise - but the High Voltage issue seems unending.PS> I have found papers written by Dr Bhim Singh of New Delhi on proposals for an SEIG (Self Excited Induction Generator) Regulator, however I have not been able to find anything commercially built.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
Answered in 3 days by:
1/3/2018
Mechanic: Jeremy, Technician replied 6 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I don’t normally work on these, but I can try to assist you where I can. Did you still need assistance with this? Or do you prefer to work with a tech that knows the equipment better?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Thank you for your offer Jeremy, but I need someone very involved with Self Excited Induction Generator systems to make this come together.
Thanks anyway
Phil H