Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

I have a 8394RT JLG lift. Right now it will only rev up but…

Customer Question
I have a 8394RT...

I have a 8394RT JLG lift.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Right now it will only rev up but no drive or lift nothing happens. Can’t even start from top controller. Started with poor starting from top with of and on with one side steering to now nothing? Any idea?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
12/29/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your question!

3394RT? Do you have battery voltage to the upper joystick?

Hello sounds good.

Yup I do.

With no steering or raise function and no drive, and can't start from upper, and you have battery voltage, do you have ground to the upper to complete the circuits? With this type problem, usually, it is a damaged cable through the scissors.

Also no lift from bottom control but will rev up.

Have you examined the solenoids on the control valve and all wiring is good and not damaged? Do you have a service manual for the unit?

it all looks fine.
I did print off some manual the other day from some site for it. Don’t have it in front of me now.

Are you using a voltmeter to see if the solenoids are getting any voltage from the controls? Sounds like no voltage is getting past the controls, to the functions.

No I don’t think I’ve checked that.
But I come no start up top tho there’s power lights come on and all. I can jump it from bottom ignition to get it to run on top controls but still no function or able start it from there.

I think all the problems are related. And the first thing to check is where there is battery voltage, where there is not! You say you have battery voltage t the upper, but if not checked with a voltmeter, you may not!

I have level jacks on it. When I jump it from bottom have it running the legs will float down. So there some power going to some selniods.
OK let me check in with u tomorrow again I will check some more voltages. And check in wth you.

OK< sounds good.

Start at the Estop, that cuts power to the upper/lower.

Ok thanks.

Good night!

How about the computer board on the bottom isn’t flashing any code? Is that normal?

IS it lite up and has power to it?

Yup it is lite solid steady.

OK, so it is not faulting out, which again seems to be a lack of voltage. Have you checked the upper panel with a voltmeter?

I tried it again here power to top control box. Can’t start tho. I jumped it from bottom ignition to start it and have acess to top controls. If i hit lift lite flash’s push joystick down solid lite push up lite keeps flashing nothing happens no rev up nothing. If I hit drive no lite flashes no nothing. On the leveling jacks push joystick down legs come down revs up and all. Push joystick up only revs up.
If u can make anything from that?
I haven’t put any voltmeter on anything yet.

OK>