Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

On a Komatsu FC40-4 forklift. I was wondering if anyone knew…

Customer Question
On a Komatsu FC40-4...

On a Komatsu FC40-4 forklift. I was wondering if anyone knew if it has a quick change clutch?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

FC40C-4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

SN:130797A I am doing the repair, but need to know if it is a quick change clutch

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
12/18/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

If it has a quick change, it will have a split bell housing, where the top section can be removed to expose the pressure plate. You have pictures of the back of the engine?

It has a removable inspection plate on both the transmission and bell housing. That is why I am asking. I was hoping someone knew before we start to disassemble

Then it has the quick change!

I understand but I am noty sure how to remove the shaft. Maybe it is a split shaft? I am trying to avoid dissassembling the unit, unless someone is sure

Look for a plug on the center of the differential, which can be removed, and find a snap ring on the shaft, that goes through the clutch. remove snap ring an use a threaded bolt to slide the shaft out enough to clear the clutch disc.

Okay I did not see one the other day but will check tonight. You have a manual on this forklift?

No, just have been in forklift business for over 40 years.

Same here. I am wondering if the shaft into the clutch is short and can be knocked back. I remember the old TCM had a nut you turned to remove the shaft

This being a larger forklift, I doubt it has a split shaft, but more likely the one piece that has to go out the differential.