Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

I have a 1985 Yale Model ERP030 that hesitates to move

Customer Question
I have a 1985...

I have a 1985 Yale Model ERP030 that hesitates to move forward unless you first rotate the steering left or right. Reverse works fine. Fluid is topped off. no other issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

S/N N420046 Model #ERP030TBE24SE083

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Just acquired it this morning. Fluid was a bit low, so we added until full. Otherwise thats it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

This is the three wheel model? There is a steering switch or poteniomter on the rear wheel linkage. Switch is loose or needs adjustment.

3 wheel yes sir. I'll locate that and have a look. Are there any adjustment specs or just by touch, sight, response?

Touch, sight and test

Where exactly is it located?

At the top of the wheel spindle. Not sure if you can access between battery and steering shaft, or counterweight has to come off.

It appears that there are 4 switches at the top area. Would these be the ones in question?

Is there a cam to trip one or all?

There is a cam fixed to the top that rotates when the wheel turns.

Doe sit function with all four switches? Any switches seem to be out of position?

When the wheel is straight nothing happens, when turned to the left the right rear switch engages and it takes off. That switch seems to produce the most speed. The other 3 click/engage and help accelerate, but shouldn't it do that when in the center straight forward position??

It should, not sure why tripping one of the switches would let it drive in forward, when reverse always works ?

should the cam position be centered?

It is not straight with the rear wheel?

it is straight toward the rear. The unit will not engage and move until the wheel/cam is turned and makes contact with the switch though..... Is that normal?

Not normal. Rear wheel should not have to be moved . Switches are there to slow speed when wheels are turned.

That makes sense now. I do notice that there are 4 solenoids that operate forward (2) and reverse (2). Reverse sols engage fully and the 2 forward sols do not. They are not making full contact.
It seems that after the wheel is turned something causes them to fully contact and then take off.

The switch is completing the circuit to the forward contactor, so the real problem may be at the contactor, not steer switch.

I notice that when the pedal is depressed the solenoid doesn't fully engage, but when I press against the solenoid toward the contact (gentle push) it then engages and works fine.
Can the solenoid be adjusted or is it faulty?

May not be getting full voltage to the coil to close the solenoid. What is voltage? Has battery been fully charged since you got lift?

It was fully charged earlier today. Previous owner said that it had been operating that way for quite some time. I'll check the voltage real quick to verify.Reverse solenoids clearly respond better and stronger than the 2 forward solenoids.

OK>

Each solenoid has 4 posts with all reading 24v with key off.
Turn on the key and 3 of every 4 on each solenoid read 23v and the single post on each solenoid reads 12v. battery gauge shows 75% charged.

Work the steer wheel and see if voltage changes at the solenoids.

will do

OK>

All posts drop .1v

So very little change? So it may not have anything to do with the rear wheel. You say it was fully charged ? With 24 volt system a fully charged 24 volt industrial battery should be well over 24 volts , closer to 30 volts! I would put it on charge again, be sure charger is charging, and check the voltages again in /am, .

10/4

Thanks,

If the charge doesn't make it to nearly 30v, what would be the next step?
The part that does not make sense is the fact that the reverse solenoids operate correctly, but the forward solenoids do not. all of the terminals show the same voltage readings. Wouldn't that indicate bad solenoids or no?

Swap coils with forward and reverse .

I was thinking about that. I'll give it a try tomorrow thanks!

OK> goodnight

I switched out the reverse solenoids with the forward solenoids with no changes. Operates the same. Fully charged and reads 24v. The unit just doesn't seem to move unless you rotate the steering wheel from side to side first, then it moves. It also appears to be a bit sluggish at first then the speed increases.As previously mentioned: Each solenoid has 4 posts with all reading 24v with key off.
Turn on the key and 3 of every 4 on each solenoid read 23v and the single post on each solenoid reads 12v.
I cleaned the contacts on all of the solenoids, triple checked every wire and/or connection on the machine and made sure that the batteries were full.

Follow the wires on the solenoids that drops to 12 volts. Seems like this should stay at 24 volts, not drop. See where source is!

Will check that when I return and post results

OK>

I traced the wire that drops to 12v back up to the area around a capacitor and other connections. This particular one has a resistor or diode attached to it with a smaller yellow electrical piece connected to that. It wasn’t totaly soldered, coming apart.... possible issue? Otherwise all connections in that area seemed good, but the other 2 parts that are connected could be faulty as well?
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago

Resolder and see if it helps!