Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I have a katolight 35kw, are you able to help? 2 days. With

Customer Question

I have a katolight 35kw, are you able to help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 days. With the approaching hurricane, I wanted to get the gen ready for possible use. It is LP and hadn't been used in 2 years. I've changed the plugs (gap to 0.35), replaced oil and coolants. But when I went to start it, the Infineon turns over but dies not run.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I have 6 1000 gal tanks, all of which are full. If I remove the spark plugs and crank the engine, I can smell LP
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That covers it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

What engine is in the generator? Kato does not make the engine, If you remove a spark plug and ground it, while cranking, do you have spark at the plug? If no spark, you have an ignition problem, and we need to know if it has distributor or electronic ignition. If there is spark, it may be flooding, and with lp , you can't see it, but too much lp will not fire and run engine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a 2006 4.3L. There is spark on all plugs. With plugs removed, there is propane fuel smell. I've changed the battery and, as with the old battery, the engine fails to start of even attempt to start.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Shut off the propane and see if the engine will fire after a few attempts, letting the propane dissipate, If it starts and dies, the propane regulator is letting to much fuel into the cylinders.