Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

I have a 20VP. One day the platform worked fine, now the…

Customer Question
I have a 20VP...

I have a 20VP. One day the platform worked fine, now the platform does not go up. Everything sounds the same and the lift will move. It's just the paltform

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

JLG 20VP(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to. I have checked the fluid levels

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a manual for it. I was hoping that there would be some basic things to check to see if I can fix it or if I should have it serviced by someone else

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
8/4/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can can work together to get to the root of your question!

has an emergency lowering valve, has someone opened the valve? If valve is open, the system will not have pressure to raise the platform.

I located the emergency lowering valve. It was tight. I loosened it and then re tightened it. No change. I suspect the dump valve may be stuck open but I don't know how to address this.

See page 2-13 in the parts manual link below. All the valves are in the power unit. You have outriggers, are they down? If outriggers are not set, lift will not raise.

Page 2-13 is a parts list and there are no outriggers mentioned on that page. It does have a pothole detection system

Pothole detection is what I meant. I has no outriggers.

There is nothing down. I look underneath the lift and it seems very normal. I have looked at the bubbles in the two levels and they are in the center.

Will the pothole bars move up or down? Are they making the switch close/open?

The pothole bars are down which is what I assume is normal. Pushing them up or pulling them down makes no difference. I can see the plunger switches and they seem to be working.

Have you tested them with a meter?

I have not. Do you know where I would make a connection to test? I'm thinking that getting under the unit will be very difficult

Is there a wiring diagram in the manual. I can't download it on this system. The wires from switches have to go to the control panel. locate the wires and test for continuity.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician