Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  I am a John Deere Ag Tech with over 10 years of expirence.
32685367

I have 6420 deer tractor it wont stay in forward or reverse

Customer Question

I have 6420 john deer tractor it wont stay in forward or reverse if you hold the shifter for A min it will move
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

The left hand reverser on your tractor relies on an electromagnet to hold the lever in the forward or reverse position. Over time the electromagnet gets weak and will either start popping to neutral with a heavy jolt or it will not stay in forward or reverse unless held. Unfortunately the reverser itself is not serviceable. If no warning lamps are flashing on the dash indicating an active fault code then then the reverser itself will need to be replaced. The replacement reverser is of a different design and no longer relies on a electromagnet to hold the lever in place. Unfortunately the update is not cheap but it does resolve the issue and has proven to be far more reliable.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in to see if there is any thing I can do to be of further assistance.

Thanks,
Kevin