Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I have a datsun fg103 that is not getting spark. Was running

Customer Question

I have a datsun fg103 that is not getting spark. Was running fine then just cut off. Running a pertronix 1741 module. I got 12v at the positive on the coil, no switching on the negative side however. Ordered another module, that was faulty, had it replaced with a good one and still the same condition...
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Industrial Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Hmmm thats really as far as i have gotten. Im kinda stumped and i was in the middle of loading a truck
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check out the manual for the 12 volt negative ground model in link above. Is it wired properly>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was wired per the instructions. I swapped back to points, still no spark. It was running fine, then it just shut off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the distributor turning? When you went back to points, did you swap out the coil to a points style coil? Points are not grounded when open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also had to replace the ignition switch , but that was because it was worn out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You have points in now? Do you have battery voltage to both sides of the coil when points are open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the points back on just to see if it was another faulty pertronix module, and I still didn't have spark. I put the Pertronix back on at the moment though
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the distributor turning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it turns
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Has coil been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced it with the one supplied with the pertronix. I have 4 good coils i have swapped around and still no spark
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It is as simple wiring as it comes. have you called the Petronix hot line? Seems to me it has to be bad wire or broken connection. Try replacing your existing wiring at distributor and coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. After talking to the hotline, they sent me a new module. The original one was shorted. I am getting the ohm readings on the new module as per specs, and getting 12v on + side of coil with key on, just not getting a switching on the - side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did renew the ground wire inside the dizzy coming fromnthe condenser. Along with a nee condenser
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an electrical diagram for that model forklift? Im having trouble locating one. Datsun cfg103 with the d11 engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please disregard the phone request. That was sent in error
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No Datsun way too old to find a diagram. You just need battery voltage from the keyswitch to the coil , to get spark. Nothing else on forklift will matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It seems to be dropping way past 12v at the coil while starting
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Run jumper direct from battery posiitve to the coil. What is it dropping to? Is battery dropping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no spark running straight from the battery. Voltage still drops
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What does voltage drop to at battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got to run to work, but when i get off in the morning i will get back with you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK< if voltage is dropping below 8 volts, you may need to charge or replace the battery!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put in a hot battery and jumped it off. Voltage stays around low 12 while cranking. Still no spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coil is also very hot to the touch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Called the techline for pertronix again and they told me that my wires need to be suppresion type. I stuck a set of non solid core suppression wires on it and I still have no spark. Still have no "switching" on and off from the negative side of the coil
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Are there any old wires from distributor to coil? Replace them!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All wiring from dizzy to coil has been renewed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you ran a continuity test on the module in the distributor , to be sure it is not grounded to the distributor housing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I havent. I did run a jumper from the neg battery to the neg coil and measured voltage across the positive side with the ignition on so I know the ground is good. Where would I measure continuity? From the module negative to a good known ground?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Module leads to dist body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i will try that
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I measured 140 ohms across the red module wire and the dizzy. Thats on the 200 scale on my voltmeter
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK< I was just wanting to know if the module may be grounded to the distributor. It has to be isolated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This one has me stumped. I may try to putbrhe points back in, but i dont get spark that way either....
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the magnet installed properly on the distributor cam, so it passes the igniter to send signal to the coil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its seated on the dizzy shaft right. It turns fine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

And igniter has black wire to negative coil side and red to posiitve coil side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Let me opt out, and see if anyone else will reply. Please do not respond to me or it will lock the question to me.