Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I have a model 050-0y50 forklift, was just using it an was

Customer Question

I have a model 050-0y50 clark forklift, was just using it an was backing up went to go forward an nothing, it still goes in reverse just fine looked at the linkage an it looks good any ideas
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

C500Y50? Auto transmission? Shift is manual shift, direct to the transmission control valve. Is the linkage moving at the transmission for forward? If it lost both directions, it would be problem with the inching control, the brake valve on the transmission, operated by the left brake pedal.?? Do you have neutral?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have reverse no forward movement.

C500Y50? Auto transmission? Shift is manual shift, direct to the transmission control valve. Is the linkage moving at the transmission for forward? If it lost both directions, it would be problem with the inching control, the brake valve on the transmission, operated by the left brake pedal.?? Do you have neutral

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The linkage is moving at the control valve an no forward movement but reverse still works
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have neutral

No reason for forward to fail. It seems to be a control valve problem. The control valve on the side of the transmission is the likely problem, not allowing the fluid to flow to the forward clutch. The control valve can be removed from the side of the transmission, not an easy job, and after it is on the bench, it can be disassembled to find problem. may be broken spring or stuck valve. With valve removed, the forward and reverse clutch can be air checked to see if both hold pressure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you put it in reverse you can hear some type of fluid movement then it will move, you can hear the same fluid in forward but it will not go

You may want to drain the transmission and see if you find bits of spring in the oil. The clutch pack piston can stick if the springs are breaking up. That requires the transmission to be removed and the clutch packs rebuilt with new parts!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went out to start on the fluid removal, I started it up and now it moves forward, any thoughts on that?

Clutch pack is sticking from broken springs, it may never do it again, or it can do it again today!