Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 4 cyl perkins engine in my hystrer forklift and it

Customer Question

I have a 4 cyl perkins engine in my hystrer forklift and it will start up and run some times for a couple minutes as much as 5 minutes and other times for 30 to 40 second. While running has no aceleration at all. Done this a couple years ago and we cleaned all the filters and ran fine with regular filter changes till now. Appears to be an air problem but I have bled and re-bled everything.
Mechanic for 50 years but this one has got me stumped. Injector pump is producing plenty of pressure to the injectors.
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 1 year ago.

What model perkins does it have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I waited 4 hours for this WOW! The engine numbers tell me it is a 300 or 360

Sorry for the delay I work during the day and look at questions in the evening how do the fuel lines look?

What is the model number of the hyster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the fuel lines have been checked and pressure tested and the rubber and clamps all replaced. new lift pump installed, fuel tak drained and refilled clean to the top, all new filters all the lines bled and rebled. The hyster is an 8500

How does the fuel filter housing look? has it been pressure tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are telling a guy who has been a mechanic for fifty years this. All the ovious has been done this is the reason I came to someone who works on Perkins everyday to find out if there is somewhere else I need to look for this reason. So please instead of rehashing everything I have told you that has been done tell me where else I can look for this problem and if you don't know then tell me so up front, I will think no less of you because I have been doing it 50 years plus and cannot figure it out.

I will opt out see if another expert can help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK how do we do that. We have already paid our fee, do you send it over to them or what.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Let me take a stab at it! On the injection pump cover is a return line fitting, with a check valve in it. Remove the fitting with the check ball, and see if the ball is free and the fitting and the return line back to the tank is open. If the check valve or the return line is plugged, pressure will build in the injection pump, and kill the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already checked that yesterday and the return flow is perfect. Let me tell you what I told Bradley, I have been a mechanic for over 50 years and I have gone through all the ovious things that will shut it down but I work on mostly Cummins and not the Perkins and over the years have found them to be in their own little corner of the world. This happens to be our own forklift that we move engines around with and really need it bad.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If the return is ok, the only thing left is the internal linkage in the injection pump. And the only repair is to remove the injection pump and have it rebuilt. You could remove the cover from the pump, and see it it is moving freely, but usually it does no good. If it would not start, it could free up the linkage, but with engine starting, just won;t accelerate, the injection pump will need to be rebuilt.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I started my diesel education and tech in 1966.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not the case here, I could agree with that is when you started it and it would do nothing but idle but this starts and runs a few seconds or a couple minutes and dies without trying to accelerate so it is not the throttle lever problem. I been doing these diesels since 1958 and this one has me stumped.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Good luck with it. I will opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really though I was going to get a Perkins Diesel expert to answer some questions, while both these guys know something about diesels and all the ovious problems they could not help
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jack, My name is***** was field service for Cat who owns Perkins and also previously worked for JCB who runs Perkins so I do have first hand experience.I just reviewed the posts here and will be glad to help under one condition. i need to tell you upfront. I am not an employee of this site. I have a repair business and help on here in between jobs as time allows. Your deposit sits with the site and experts only get a percentage on positive feedback and accepted answers and we can post back and forth until you get the information you need but I am not there and understand you have many years experience but in order to be thorough asking for specific test results or procedures in no insult to anyones experience or background and is necessary to isolate this issue. First, I need the complete engine model and serial number information from the ID tag to be sure we are talking about the same engine and fuel system. Lets start there. Also you mentioned you tried everything. So when you installed your sight glass or clear hose between the tank and pump what did you see for air bubbles or fuel bleeding back? what are you seeing for fuel supply pressure when you installed your test gauge? Depending on the exact model if equipped with the mechanical transfer pump, when the clear lines were used is it bleeding back to tank? Does the problem exist when bypassing the existing fuel supply and running from a separate fuel container with the suction and return into a fuel container? Let me know the Tag ID info and I will get into further detail once I know this information. As you know if someone came to you and said my 4 cylinder Cummins has a problem you would need to know the model to know the correct fuel system whether it is electronically governed, full mechanical, what fuel pump is installed, etc. Let me know and I will be glad to try to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no problem giving you anything I have. Like I said I do mostly Cummins and the Perkins has a different attitude. Here are all the numbers I can find on this engine and when I checked them in my book it said it was a 360 Perkins but you may know different. Numbers follow:
37116360
18M2
W103D3
37112250/2
4A3\
These are everything that is on this engine. It is in a Hyster 8500 Forklift. I changed the lift pump from mechanical to electric 4 years ago because the fuel pumps were not lasting. As far a bleed back in the clear line I see none but after I start it and it runs for a couple times for 30 seconds I can bled a couple air bubbles off the filter. This engine still has the cartridge filter it has not been changed to a spin on. The fuel pump pressure is all in the normal range at the lift pump and at the injector pump. Checked the pressure at the injectors and all four lines are within a 1/4 pound and in the good range. I have checked the tank pickup and the vent all are good. I have pressure tested all the suction side line and they all check good. I have checked the return and everything is open and fuel return. I have even changed the oil and checked the low oil sencor to make sure that was not shutting it down. Like I said I have been doing diesels since 1958 and have never been stumped but there is always a first. Any help you can shed I would appreciate.
Jack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan I might add this is our own shop forklift that we pull the engines out of the frames with and set cabs so we are in a world of hurt to get this machine back up and running.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Are all those numbers on the head? the first one comes up as a head casing number click here to see

37116360

The serial number and model tag maybe is missing. the numbers should look more like these and also here is the guide and tag location chart.

Perkins model numbers

See if there are any tags or numbers matching this guide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We pressure washed the engine and that is all the numbers that are on it. Yes that number is ***** the head which shows a reconditiond head at some point
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. Let me try to get the correct engine model from the Hyster complete model and serial number from the Forklift ID tag and i will research it from that. I want to be sure I have the correct engine by Perkins model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan from talking to the Hyster people that I bought this machine about 15 years ago they recall it being a 4-236 engine in this machine.thanks
Jack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still working on this or did you give up too. If so tell them to refund my money because I sure did no0t get any satisfaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know how I can f**king rate something that never happened, I never got an answer just repeated answers that I gave your so called experts. Now you have charged my credit card $72.00 and I want my f**king money refunded before the end of business Monday or JUST CAN'T ANSWER won't be around long after I get done with legal action against them.