Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

I have a yale wharehouse lift with a 2011 mazda 2.2 with

Customer Question

Hello, I have a yale wharehouse lift with a 2011 mazda 2.2 with Impco propane system on it. It died while running , showed code 190-2. The forklift was new to me a few days earlier. I probable had 30 minutes on it. I replaced the crank/cam sensor distributor unit, and spark plugs. and propane tank. Now sometimes i can get it to start, sputter, sometimes not. Thinking maybe not getting fuel. It has good propane at regulator inlet. I dont get hardly any at what may be the carb inlet. Not positive it is the carb fuel inlet. I did take out the 6 allens that hold the 5" cap on the carb and do see a butterfly in there. it is closed until I turn the key on then will open about 1/8" . Thats all.
Any Ideas?
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 1 year ago.

What is the model number your lift?

Fault 190-2 is engine speed sensor fault the speed sensor is under the exhaust manifold I am sending a picture of its location check the connection or replace the sensor let me know if you need more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2011 GLC050vxnvre085
S/N A910V18675J

Ok I attached a picture of the engine speed sensor have you checked that sensor yet.

Are you able to see the picture? Do you need more info?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a sensor there. I have a steel pipe going into the block right there. That pipe goes towards the front of the lift, around the engine, and back to the propane system. Right above that location is a four coil pack

Did the connector look ok when you replaced the crank sensor

Where is the cam sensor you replaced located on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
connectors looked fine, I unplugged most of them and blew them all out to get any moisture out. Acts like lack of fuel. I can turn the crank sensor distributor unit and it will backfire sometimes.

Are you getting fuel to the regulator after the LP shut off?

Is this what your regulator looks like?

Any news yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We closed for the evening but my regulator looks a little different. I will try to find a picture of it tonight. I have not checked propane downstream of the shutoff.

Ok let me know tomorrow what the fuel flow looks like after the shut off. It is possible you have a stuck shut off valve happens normally with LP forklifts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thanks. I believe it is the impco spectrum series 3 but I will check for sure in the morning. Thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My unit is a Impco spectrum series III. I did take the fuel shutoff out of the regulator where it screws on. It stays closed with key off and key on but does open on crank. When it does open I get lots of propane.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My spark seems to be intermittent. I hooked a timing light to a plug wire and am getting flashes sometimes. At the moment the engine is not starting. sometimes it does but not at the moment. I pulled the fuses and they look fine. I pulled the 5 pin ignition relay and it checks out. I checked the wires going in and out of the coils, it has four, cant find any wear areas on the wire harness. It has a parking brake sensor, seat sensor and tranny neutral sensor. would any of these interrupt the spark?

Neutral sensor would interupt spark none of the others would I would check it make sure it is working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the neutral sensor is working. If I put it in forward or reverse and try to start it the motor will not crank. The dash display says " put in neutral to start ". When cranking I do get and occasional flashing on my timing light, and when that happens the motor does sputter and try to start. But most of the time I can crank it for five or 10 seconds with no flash on the light and the motor will not even try to start. Just no spark. I'm sure that my timing is off some, because I removed the crank sensor and I don't think I got it back in the exactly the same place. But it should still spark, just not at the right time. And sometimes it will run.

Are you getting anymore codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Just the hydraulic interlock seat sensor but the seat is up to work on the engine, so that makes sense. If the engine does start and run, as it does occasionally, then I get 190-2. But maybe it is an old code and just not erased as I did put in a new crank sensor

Ok let me do some research on the wiring schematic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.

Check the cam sensor/ distributor you installed here is a manual to make sure it is firing when it is supposed to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that must be for an earlier model.
Mine does not have a distributor with four wires on it. It is a crank sensor type distributor with a flat top. It has one plug on the side of the sensor with four or five small wires coming out of it. Then there are four separate cools down just above the crank pully. It is a 2011 model, says engine family "BZ9XB02.2ZT8". I tried to add a pic of the crank sensor and coils
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are a couple more

Under the dash there is a big vehicle control module check all the connectors going to it it will have alot of connectors just check make sure they are all plugged in. Does you display have push start or key switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a key switch

How do the connections look at the control module under the dash?

Is there a key switch mounted on top of the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No key switch on top of battery. The connections under the dash looked good but I pulled all of them and blew them all out. Still no spark.

Do you have power going to each coil?

what happens if you spray a little either in the air intake does it try to run?

Any update yet?

Are you still with the lift?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. We closed a little bit ago so not at the lift anymore. I did spray either in the intake and got nothing at all. Didn't try to fire and I tried it a couple of times. Don't know about power to the coils but will check in the morning.

Ok tomorrow we are going to access the display and see what faults have been logged in the module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Thank you for all your help

Any update yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked and blew out all the plugs and ecu under the dash. And the plug that goes into the back of the dash. When u turn the key there is 12 volts on one of the wires that plugs into each coil. I undid the one big plug on the engine ecu and blew it out. All I get is just an occasional spark. Undid all connections on main wire harness and blew them out. Think I am about to haul it to the nearest Yale dealer which is about 170 miles away.

Can we see if we can get some fault codes before you do that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only fault code that ever came up was 190-2. I only get that code if it actually starts and runs, then the code will show on the dash display. I have not been able to get it started since last week, so have not seen that code since then.