Industrial Equipment

Have Industrial Equipment Repair Questions? Ask an Expert Now

Industrial Equipment

I have a JLG 30e with an AU1830 dc motor controller. The boom

Customer Question
I have a JLG 30e...
I have a JLG 30e with an AU1830 dc motor controller. The boom lift will do everything but move forward and reverse. The forward and reverse contactors do pull in when activating direction with joystick. The DC controller is flashing a fault code 5 when trying to move fwd/Rev
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
4/17/2016
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Bradley Martin
I found this on your problem if the line contactor is getting power and closing it might be a motor issue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the same troubleshooting tree. I'm looking for a more specific testing procedure/solution. The lift has 2 motors. One for each drive wheel. Hard to believe both motors have an issue.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Easiest way to check the motor is with a volt meter see if you have voltage on the case of each drive motors if you have voltage on the case the windings inside the motor have shorted
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you want to give more details? Each motor has 4 wire lugs. Can you explain how I need to check a motor with 4 cables with the voltage meter? I was hoping for expert info not "could be this or could be that" type of answers. I need specifics.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
All you need to check the motors for a short is negative probe on the the negative post of the motor and positive probe on the case of the motor if you read voltage on the case that motor has shorted to properly diagnose your issue we are going to have to check a few things there are to many things that would cause your issue so I really cant give you a specific answer working on equipment does not work like that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure which is the negative post on the motors. Each motor has 4 posts. I put my meter on the motor case and each post. At idle I get 17.5vdc. When I activate the joystick the contactor pulls in and the meter goes OL the contactor opens back up after only a second and the meter goes back to 17.5vdc and the DC controller flashes 5 fault.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can see and hear the brake release
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
On your motor you you should have a post with B- on it are you getting voltage trough the case on both drive motors?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can only check at idle. When trying to move fwd/Rev the contactor will only close for a second before opening. At idle I'm seeing 17.5vdc on every post to case. The volt meter does try and change value but because the contact will only pull in for a second it's too quick for the meter to give a reading.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
I think you have a bad motor controller that is causing this problem I know I have took one off before and sent it to JLG to have them test it and they will determine if it is good or faulty.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Also what is your total battery voltage?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
49vdc
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Have you checked to see what the motor controller is putting out when the contactor pulls in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not. Not sure which lugs on the controller I need to put my meter on. Do you know if I can disconnect the motors from the controller to test? I wasn't sure if not having a load on the controller would be bad.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Do you happen to know your serial number?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
011893(###) ###-####
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
You should be able to check the motors without hurting the controller. I am certain it is either a motor problem or controller.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Let me know when your around the lift.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am around the lift
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
On the contactor for the drive function is it numbered should see a number 5 and number 6 side
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
If you do see numbers on the contactor move the cable that is on number 5 off and move the cable that is on number 6 to number 5 and see if it will drive
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the change over contactor there is a 6 lug going to "A" on the motor controller and the 5 lug on the contactor is going to the A2 lug on one of the motors.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Yes move number 6 to number 5 and leave 5 off for now see if it will drive
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
If it works your change over contactor is bad if it does not work we will need to go another direction more than likely the motor controller will be bad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It still does not drive
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
put number 5 cable where number 6 was
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still does not drive
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put number 5 where number 6 was and left 6 off.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Does it drive?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Does the main contactor pull in and stay closed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I step on the foot switch in the basket the contactor pulls in and stays. It's the fwd/Rev contactor that will only pull in for a second.That drawing looks different. Is it for a 30 electric?
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Yes 30e electric
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't recognize the JLG Motor Controller layout?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That looks right
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
That 809 number in the picture is a board do you see if it has D5 and D6 on that board
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do see the board. Most of the board is in some kind of shrink tubing covering board components. It has a couple fuses on the board. The fuses are good.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok do you have another lift around that is the same?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
I am still leaning towards the motor controller being the issue dont know what else to check
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Do you need help with a part number?
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Any update today?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I'm going to send the DC Motor Control for testing.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok let me know what you find out you might also can get a golf cart shop to test it if you have one around you they are basically the same and please rate me when you get a chance
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Have you checked the 5 amp circuit breaker in the platform control box by chance.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Also when will you be around the lift?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked the circuit breaker in the basket.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Did we check the voltages coming in and out of the joystick?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did do some troubleshooting with the joystick
Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin