Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

I have a fosdick radial drill press 5' arm 13" column that…

Customer Question
I have a fosdick radial...
I have a fosdick radial drill press 5' arm 13" column that jumps out of gear under load, using a 3" twist drill
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Mechanic: Machinery Mark, Machine Tool Consultant replied 3 years ago
Machinery Mark
Machinery Mark, Machine Tool Consultant

Good Day,

My name is ***** ***** I'll try to help you. Fosdick radial drills are no longer made anymore since 1982. I assume that you're referring to the power downfeed, is that right?

What material are you drilling? What's the HP of the drill? If it's the power feed that's your problem, have you tried smaller drills and is the feed rate exceeding the hole size and material hardness?

Mark

Drilling stainless steel 2 1/2"thick, this machine was made in 1951 has a 15hp motor
Was drilling @133rpm. I don't remember the feed rate
I will consult my tech. It seems that 133 rpm may be fast but I would like to know the feed rate at rpm/inch that you had set. Please send me the feed rate that you were using.
Sorry had to make sure my information was correct
The spindle speed was 31rpm, the feed rate was .004
Lever A was on number two but it does not shift in or out
The spindle stops under load

My repair tech is out of town because of the July 4th holiday and will be back Monday. I apologize for this delay, but he's repaired many Fosdick radial & sensitive radial drills. It sounds like the slip clutch inside the power feed may need some adjustment. The slip clutches are there to protect the machine's downfeed mechanism from stripping gears. Again, I appologize for the delay.

mark

That's ok I understand, I'm taken the weekend off myself will be waiting to hear from you
Have a good 4th
Thank you
Louis Mccoy
Hi mark
Louis here, I was hoping hear from you on my fosdick radial drill
I sent you some additional information , I know your tech was taking the weekend off if the slip clutch does need adjusting how do I go about it?
Relist: I still need help.