Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Texex 3470 rotation gearbox assembly has oil leaking from the

Customer Question

Texex 3470 rotation gearbox assembly has oil leaking from the vent plug. What is causing this?
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If the gearbox is leaking oil from the vent then you likely have a bad seal on the hydraulic drive motor output drive shaft overfilling the gearbox. Let me know if you need more help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I removed the motor from the gearbox and it ran fine with no leaks! the U-Cup Seal is not good. Will that also cause the gearbox to fill with hydraulic fluid and push out the gear oil from the vent plug??

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Milo, Thanks for the update. The hydraulic motor should be the only connection between the gearbox and hydraulic system. How bad and how consistant is this leak? Was there any service done recently on this where someone may have overfilled the gearbox? If so I would drain it down to the full level and then monitor it again for overfilling. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FYI... if the cup seal is bad, then the vent plug will leak oil. I replace the cup seal and everything is working fine.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update Milo and glad you got this resolved.