Industrial Equipment

Have industrial equipment repair questions? Ask an Expert now

162g###-##-#### ***** yale electric fork lift wont steer…

Customer Question
have yale electric fork lift...
have yale electric fork lift wont steer
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Industrial Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/22/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I don't recognize the model ? But do you hear the steering motor come on as soon as you turn on the key? it should come on and let you steer, without going to f/r. It is on a timer and will shut off after a few seconds. It is powered by a relay or contacter. Have you checked the steering contacter?
Not at the store right now but did not hear motor running I did hear contactor click can I get back inmorning when I get back to store?
If contacter closes, check the motor for voltage. If motor is getting voltage, the steer pump motor needs repair. I will be here tomorrow.
When I turn key on holding it over like your starting a car it rocks back and forth then I let go of the switch and step on the safety swith it cicks like the contactor makes how do I find steer motor it's 2or3 motors back there
Steer motor will be the smallest of the motors, and will have cable coming from the steer contacter that is clicking closed.
OK MR. CURTIS WAS NOT FOR SURE YOU WAS SAME MAN I WAS TALKING TO
I may be! Service manager on Clark and Yale for over 20 years.
OK IF GREEN LIGHT IS ON CONTROLER DOSE THAT MEAN MOTOR SOULD BE RUNNING
It means the controller is ok, and the system should work, and steer motor should run!
COULD THIS BE A BATTERY HAD THEM CHECKED BUT AFTER I WORK WITH A FEW MIN SEEM LIKE THE GAGE SAID LOW VOLTAGE IT WILL GO UP AND DOWN BUT THEN IT STOPPED GOING FOWARD AND BACK
if you lose other function, then it could be battery voltage problem, but if only steering quit, it is not battery. I would be checking for voltage at the steer motor.
WHAT SHOULD VOLTAGE RUN
Battery voltage, what ever the battery pack is!
GOT 2 WIRE PULGS GOING TO MOTOR 1 HAS 3 BIGER WIRES RED WHITE AND BLACK THE OTHER HAS SMALLER WIRES GREEN RED WHITE BLACK AND ORG I WOULD THINK BIGER WIRE WOULD BE POWER RED WHITE OR BLACK
Look at the p/s contacter that is doing the clicking, then follow the wire to the motor, does it have battery voltage coming out of the contacter?
IT DONT GO TO MOT0R IT GOES TO APS COMES OUT OF APS GOES TO MOTOR 25 VOLTS GOING THOUGH CONTACTOR PUT UNIT ON CHARGER FOR 1 HR START UP AND IT STEERED FOR FEW MIN THEN STOPPED THEN QUIT GOING BACK AND FOWERD THOUGHT THIS IS 36 VOLTS MCH BUT NOT SURE SAID 24 ON CAB BAT BEEN UNPLUG FOR 30 MIN STILL HEAR BUBBLING SOUND IN BAT
Battery needs to be charged for at least 8 hours to reach full charge. The voltage is twice the number of the cells in the battery pack. 12 cells, would be 24 , 18 cells would be 36 volt. count the number of fill caps. one per cell. Charge battery tonight and see what you have in the AM.