How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask spankyjr1 Your Own Question
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Category: Industrial Equipment
Satisfied Customers: 2621
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
Type Your Industrial Equipment Question Here...
spankyjr1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im working on a Clark 500cy 80 fork lift I dont have a op

This answer was rated:

I'm working on a Clark 500cy 80 fork lift I don't have a operators my question is about the out board drive on the wheel end what oil type of oil and were do you check it this ia a old machine late 60' t early seventy's
Hi and welcome.

Sorry for delay

I'm not sure I understand your question, are you looking for the type of oil that goes in differential? (the drive unit)

What is the coldest,and hottest temps you run machine?

Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the question I have is on the dif at the wheel ends it has a gear reduction is it seperat from the trans or is it all one I cant find a oil fill or drain plug on it or is it behind the wheels

When your saying wheel end, both ends of lift have wheels that is why I wanted to clear up.
I think your talking about drive wheel end.

They used to be seperate and changed to together don't know what year the changed.
If yours has a seperate system this is were there at,you get to the plugs by raising mast all the way up and there should be two pipe plugs one for drain and one for fill.
They do get covered in dirt and sometimes can't see them.
The fill plug is just below center point of axle height.
The drain is just off center of bottom of round part of housing.
I remember jacking up with bottle jack and the jack hits drain plug while trying to lift.
80/90 gear lube is what they take.

If no plugs then it is with trans and fill is under floor board and trans takes hydraulic fluid aw46 you can get from any Napa store.

Being that old you don't know what is in it though I would change it so you don't mix any fluids.

spankyjr1 and other Industrial Equipment Specialists are ready to help you