Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

Ive got a propane powered forklift that wont start. I have

Customer Question

I've got a propane powered forklift that won't start. I have liquid flow through the regulator into the vaporizer, but no vapor coming out. I have coolant flow through the vaporizer and the coolant system is pressurized. The last time we had this issue a few weeks ago, we discovered a crack in the coolant overflow reservoir. Taping that up solved our problem. We have since epoxied the cap and there is no leak there anymore. Any ideas?
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

koboma :

Vacuum line from the carburetor intact? Diaphragm in the top of carburetor not split?

koboma :

Vapor from regulator to the carburetor is less than 1 lb, pressure, can only be seen with hose in water.

JACUSTOMER-kg6tndo1- :

Vacuum line is intact. Didn't realize it was so low pressure. Will check again

koboma :

Does the regulator have spring loaded valve in the center? Is this valve hard to push, easy or no pressure at all?

JACUSTOMER-kg6tndo1- :

I haven't disconnected it, just cracked the fitting going from requlator to vaporizer to check for liquid flow

koboma :

Look like this CA100? Has diaphragm in the top, that can split and not let unit crank.

JACUSTOMER-kg6tndo1- :

Yes, got something that looks like that. Going to check for vapor pressure, then will open that up if I have it.

koboma :

Looks like this.

koboma :

ok.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Scroll up to view. Do not rate until satisfied.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Submerged line from vaporizer exit into jar of water, tried to turn over engine and got no bubbles. The vaporizer is new, was replaced two weeks ago when we initially had this issue. After install, we still were unable to fire the engine. Service tech came out and diagnosed the issue as a cdracked coolant reservoir cap that was preventing us from building pressure in the coolant system and preventing the vaporizer from working. Forklift ran fine for two weeks, and now same problem again. Cap was repaired and has since been replaced.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Radiator cap has no effect on the system as long as it has coolant flow through the regulator and vaporizer. You don't have ice forming do you? Take the vacuum line from the carburetor and suck on it while cranking and watching the hose for fuel. Maybe the fitting is plugged at the carburetor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No luck.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Does the regulator have the spring valve in the center? Pushing this valve should let fuel flow through the regulator, to the carburetor. If not, sounds like regulator is not working!