Ben S.
Ben S., Lawyer
Experience:  President at The Soffer Law Firm PC
102822940

I am looking to apply for a us green card via form I-485

Second opinion] Hello, i am looking to apply for a us green card via form I-485 through immediate family. i am a canadian citizen in the US on a recent TN visa. I got married to a US citizen in march and now need assistance with some details on these forms. can you help?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?
Customer: not yet, i am preparing the application.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i need to know about education equivalency and home appraisal
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the first question is about education equivalency. i have a bachelor degree and high school degree from canada
and an advanced degree from Havard in the states
18 June 2020 09:14
I am wondering if i need to show equivalency since i am already working in the states and I have an advanced degree here. Also, there are already equivalencies established between canadian and US education so it seems pointless to get the equivalency set.
18 June 2020 09:17
second question: house appraisal. I'll be submitting form 865 and 944 for sponsorship and self-sufficiency. There they are asking for an licensed appraisal. First, I don't know what specific appraiser USCIS needs because I have an account with a bank showing my assets/debts on the house. is that not enough? If they want something more specific, they are not describing it well. "licensed appraiser" is a pretty vague requirement in my mind since there are hundreds of ways to appraise a house, besides the market.Hello, i am looking to apply for a us green card via form I-485 through immediate family. i am a canadian citizen in the US on a recent TN visa. I got married to a US citizen in march and now need assistance with some details on these forms. can you help? JA: What steps have you taken? Have youfiled any paperwork with the U.S. government? Customer: not yet, i am preparing the application. JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card? Customer: yes JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: i need to know about education equivalency and home appraisal

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and my responses do not constitute legal advice, nor do your questions or my responses establish an attorney-client relationship or are subject to attorney-client privilege. Also please note that this conversation is posted online on a public forum.

.

You might get a pop-up offering you a phone call. Such an offer is generated automatically by the system; it is no coming from me. It is not necessary to tell me you are not interested in paying for the call. You could simply ignore it.

.

While we are working together, you might experience a wait time. This is because I am working with more than one customer at the same time. Please do not click the "Work with another Expert" button or send messages asking me to respond. Doing either of these things will cause you more delays. Even if it takes a little while, I promise I will respond when I am able to.

.

What sort of "advanced" degree do you have from Harvard?

How did you establish equivalency previously?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi Ben, thanks for the response. I have Master's in Architecture and currently very close to obtaining my license in the field. I've been working for 3.5 years first on stem opt for three and recently switched to another three year stretch of TN status.
Applying to Harvard I didn't need to prove equivalency because Canadian/US universities already have most degrees equivalent. If anything I just had to send course descriptions to Harvard to make sure I covered the right material but that was for a few chosen courses. No one asked me for "proof" since a lot of people come to US from Canada for studies.

Proving you have a master's degree from Harvard is sufficient. I agree that if you also provide proof of your bachelor's degree from a Canadian college/university you would not need to prove "equivalency."

.

As for the appraisal, it should be a simple matter to hire a licensed real estate appraiser, explain why you are hiring them and the purpose of the appraisal, and get a satisfactory appraisal. (Because they would not be doing this for a lender, they would not be inclined to be conservative.)

.

Have I answered your question to your satisfaction?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
thank you so much Ben. Both answers are very helpful and i feel more confident moving forward with my application. You will get five stars from me! thank you!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
which apparently i can't click on right now, is the last work required from you? Or do you need to allow me to "rate"

You are welcome. I'm glad I could help. Kindly remember to give my answer a 5-star rating, so that I could get credit quickly for taking the time to answer your question. There is no additional charge and you would be helping me out. And any bonus you think I have earned would be much appreciated. :)

Thank you very much.