Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Principal Attorney at Guillermo J. Senmartin, P.A.
9200179

How do I do dual citizenship between Jamaica and america. Ni

Customer Question

How do I do dual citizenship between Jamaica and america
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?
Customer: ni
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 5 days ago.

Hello! My name is Guillermo Senmartin and I am a licensed attorney with more than 17 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will be back as soon as I can. I have my own law practice and sometimes I go to court, attend my own clients, or help other customers at the same time. I could just be very busy, but I AM NOT IGNORING YOU!

Also, I understand you might get a prompt asking if you want to work with another expert, but just ignore it. Please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and there is no guarantee that a new expert will respond any faster.

Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. I am here to help.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the answer is not good news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Do you have any U.S. immigration law questions for me?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Dual citizenship

But what questions do you have about U.S. immigration law?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No I don’t want to all u

I don't understand.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How do get a dual citizenship
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have my green card and a Jamaican passport and I want to be a citizen of America but a dual one how do I go about doing it

How long have you had green card status?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
More than 8 years

And you live in the U.S.? No trips outside of the U.S. longer than 6 months during the last 5 years? No crimes?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I live in the u.s. no trip longer than 6 months and no crimes

Then file an N-400 to apply for U.S. Citizenship. Here is the official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization

Please review and tell me what questions you have for me.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I know about the n- 400 form
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My question to u is do I have to file any other form to be a dual citizenship

Ok. That's where the confusion lies. You are a citizen of Jamaica, yes?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I married and come here and got my green card
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
And I don't want to give up my citizenship in Jamaica but I all so want to have citizenship in the U.S. also

Ok. Then just do the N-400 process. If you are granted U.S. Citizenship, then you don't lose your Jamaican citizenship. Thus you become a dual citizen only because you get U.S. Citizenship. Nothing else needs to be done. Now if Jamaica has a problem with you getting U.S. Citizenship, that I cannot tell you about or help you do anything about it, but I can tell you that the U.S. doesn't have a problem with you having Jamaican citizenship as well as U.S. Citizenship.

What else would you like to know?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
So what if when I go in for swearing I hear they with take away my Jamaican passport

They don't do that, so that is not an issue. Take a look:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details!

If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely appreciate it. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to log in to your JustAnswer.com account through the app or web browser (you cannot rate through a text message reply) and scroll up to the top (or the bottom) of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. IF you still do not see the stars, at least leave me a message that says that you are satisfied with my service to you, something like, "THANK YOU!" should suffice. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 2 day ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If it did, please at least let me know by leaving me a brief message saying that it helped and you are satisfied with my service to you, like just write, "Thank you!". Thank you for you understanding!