Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

This is a question regarding marriage based green card

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: This is a question regarding marriage based green card application. My daughter is a US Citizen and will sponsor her husband. They got married 2 weeks ago and at the present time are living in 2 different states for job reasons - she is in Indiana and he is in Masachussets. Is there a restriction as to which state( the sponsor's or the beneficiary's) the application has to be filed from?
JA: What steps have your daughter and her husband taken? Have they filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: Yes - but this is where the confusion is - see my question above.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. The case should be straightforward. One attorney seemed to bring up that the filing must be from the beneficiary's state (They are the firm attached to his employment), while we are under the impression that the state does not matter. Secondly, we would obviously like the state with the shortest processing time to green card interview.

Hello my name is Judith and I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 39 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

No I-13-/485 are filed at one central lockbox for the I-485 in Chicago regardless where each lives.

The interview will be scheduled in the state where he is residing.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Would it help if they establish proof that the permanent residence is in Indianapolis (rental agreement, auto or health insurance, travel, phone ,etc.) ?
Is the processing time shorter in Indiana vs Massachussetts?

I will call within 30 minutes. I have one call ahead of you that I am making now.

Judith