Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Guillermo, you have helped me in this case before now I have…

Hello Guillermo, you have helped...
Hello Guillermo, you have helped me in this case before now I have further developments for which I need assistance.Background: I had sponsered my wife on a spouse visa and we missed to file the I-751 in time. Upon us crossing the border in May’18 she was stopped due to expired green card. She was parolled into the country with pending removal proceedings. I meanwhile filled late I-751 form with ecidance of our marriage, our daughters US birth certificate and explanation letter. We received the receipt notice from USCIS with granting for her status for 12 months. We also went to uscis feild office and they stamped her passport for 12 months, but also wrote beside the stamp that “ in deportation proceeding”. They also took her biometric information.Today i received a letter from Department of Homeland Security for an interview scheduled for my wife in three weeks - It asks to bring in passport.I last checked the status of her removal case in immigration court system two weeks ago and case was not logged or was not entered in the system. I called today but the system is down.So seeking your guidance again, how to proceed forward.
7/14/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Today is a Saturday. You should contact the ICE Trial Attorney to find out the latest, but for that you will have to call on Monday. What is your concern?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can she be deported or arrested even if ahe has a stamp and receipt notice for legal status for atleast next twelve months. And wondering why would deportation officer call for interview as her case or court date has not been set yet?

The judge has to order the deportation. As long as she does not miss a hearing, she's fine. As far as why the officer has called her, it could be good news or no news, but not bad news if she has not missed a hearing. It could be good news because they may decide to drop the case and allow you to process the I-751 with USCIS, it could be no news because they could just want an update on her situation, where she is living, etc. and nothing else.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, we have yet not received any hearing notice. Also check two weeks ago and file was not in the system. Do you know how long it takes to get a hearing on cases such as these?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Additionally, do you recommend going in to interview with attorny in this specific case or if it’s low risk we could go by ourselves?

Minimum months to get a hearing, but in some jurisdictions that are very busy, it could be years. And I recommend going to the interview with an attorney just to explore if there are any ways to expedite a hearing before a judge because it should be an easy case.