Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

To immigration lawyer I was arrested and charged with

To immigration lawyer Hello, I was...
To immigration lawyer
Hello, I was arrested and charged with shoplifting. Did PTI, no admission of guilt, case dismissed. That happened 2 years ago in (May 2016). I want to apply for citizenship, will that be a problem, will I get denied? If so will I be put on removal proceedings? Will I be able to get into law school? Will I get detained by customs at the airport if I am traveling out of the country?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/12/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello to you too.

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Take your time

Sorry for the delay, I was finishing a phone call with a previous customer.

Shoplifting is considered a crime involving moral turpitude so it can cause some delays with naturalization if you are convicted -- however in your case there was not a conviction, but a dismissal.

When applying for citizenship, USCIS will look to see if you have had good moral character for at least 5 years preceding your naturalization application. Since this was not a conviction, you should not have any problems.

In addition, there is the petty theft exception which should cover you as well.

Be sure to obtain a certified copy of your case dismissal to supply along with your N-400 application.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a copy of all these documents. What about the PTI, isn't that considered as a conviction according to immigration laws? My deal was with the state(prosecutors) the court is aware of my PTI.

It depends -- if the PTI you enrolled in required you to plead guilty up front -- then yes, it could be considered a conviction under immigration laws.

However if you did not enter a guilty plea, as you mentioned, then no, it would not automatically count as a conviction.

Hope that helps clarify!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will I be able to get into law school? Will I get detained by customs at the airport if I am traveling out of the country?

No, you should not be detained by customs, as long as you have your green card in your possession, you would be fine.

Yes, you should be able to get in to law school and to be admitted to the Bar once you graduate and pass the Bar exam.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm currently studying for LSAT, and I will start paralegal class in the fall

Congrats, good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Thanks for your honest answers

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I definitely will. Thank you so much.