Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I didn't know about getting a CPT before starting

I didn't know about...

I didn't know about getting a CPT before starting internship. I'm a F1 student. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet just got to know about cpt requirement today 3rd day at work internship I still have 2 years before I graduate

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the F-1 visa?

No

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/12/2018
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay

I can give you the information that you need without a phone call. In what school are you enrolled and what is your major?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Penn State, Mechanical Engg

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to prepare a response. Are you currently working and if so, where?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just started at StoneAge Tools but can quit instantly if required. Didn't know about the rules.

You may be able to use your current employment with Stone Age Tools to satisfy your CPT. Curricular practical training (CPT), employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, is available to F-1 students who have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year. You can work either part-time, up to 20 hours, per week during the semester or full-time, more than 20 hours per week, during summers and vacations.

To get credit for CPT at Penn State, you need to apply through iStart. Go to this link for more information: https://career.engr.psu.edu/students/undergraduate/intern-coop/cpt.aspx

Also, you can talk to your faculty advisor or Kim Fox.

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work for you until you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question, I would appreciate it if you ranked my service excellent/5 stars at the top of the page. A BONUS is also appreciated if you think that I have earned one.

Edward Young
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But what about the thing that I already worked for 3 days?

Thank you so much for the 4-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-visaspecialist/ Or, simply request “Edward only” in the first line of your question.