Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I've got separated from my husband but have naturalization…

I've got separated from...

I've got separated from my husband but have naturalization interview in 2 weeks

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

Yes

7/12/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 16 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Did you get your green card through your spouse? When was the I-751 approved? This is what removed the conditions on your 2 year green card and gave you the 10 year green card. I assumed you applied for U.S. Citizenship with 3 years of Residency, not 5 years, correct? Please answer each question. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was approved in 09/12/2016 and I've got my first green card on 11/26/13, yes 3 years Residency

Then unfortunately, I do not have good news for you. Please do not get angry at me as I am just the messenger and did not write the laws. To be legitimate with the N-400 application that is filed early, it isn't enough to legally be married. You must be planning to continue to live together and build a life together when you are approved. If you are already separating, it would be considered fraud to continue forward. You could try to hide it from USCIS and get an approval, but if you ever applied for a relative in the future, it could come out and you could be stripped of U.S. Citizenship and if that happens, you would become deportable because they don't give you Residency back. So you have two options to be safe:

1) Fix the relationship with your spouse, if possible, then go forward but if approved, it will look very bad if you separate/divorce soon after getting your U.S. Citizenship.

2) Withdraw the N-400 and wait until you have 4 years and 9 months of Residency and then file again. Yes, it will cost you money again, but it is what it is. I am trying to protect you from committing a mistake. I hope you appreciate that.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have couple more questions:
1. If I withdrawal right now 2 weeks before interview wouldn't this look bad and would raise the questions for me in the future anyway
2. Shall I just go there and say that I've got separated instead of withdrawal?

1) No. It is the correct thing to do. Going forward is fraud if you do not fix the relationship for valid reasons.

2) You can do that, yes.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
which option do you think is better?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they'd still ask why I withdrawal at first time, right?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
withdraw'

If you send in a letter, you don't have to explain why. If you go in person, they will ask you questions. If you want to avoid them thinking that your marriage was not real, just send a letter so that you do not give them any such evidence.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My marriage is real. What kind of questions?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wouldn't they ask the same questions next time I apply anyway?

They could ask you questions at the interview to try to trick you and gather evidence against you to try to prove that your marriage was never real. What I am saying is that it is just safer to write a letter to withdraw or just don't show up to the interview and let them deny the case due to abandonment. I don't understand why you care to show up to the interview. If you are hoping that maybe out of the kindness of their heart they will approve you anyway, then let me explain that they are not supposed to and if they did, it can still cause you a problem if you divorce soon after or before approval and later you try to petition for a relative. So just write a letter asking to withdraw without any explanation or just don't show up. Don't over-complicate your situation.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Anyway when I apply next time and they ask me why I withdraw what should I say? Wouldn't I face the same situation but later, they may try to "trick" me next time, no? Just wondering

I am concerned that you are not acknowledging the importance of a positive rating. Yes, I understand that it says, "Rate to finish" and you have not finished yet, but I have tried to explain that the session does not close. We do not actually finish. At least so that I can feel better, tell me something like, "Yes, I understand about the positive rating." I don't want you to be one of those 30 to 40% of people that just leave me hanging.

You would just respond that the marriage started falling apart is all. You have to be honest because a big part of the N-400 process is honesty and good moral character. Please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you.

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another question: since we separated my address has changed - shall I update the address online for them right now or just send the letter with new return address? Or shall I still go and withdraw in person to make sure they receive all the info?

My answer remains the same, but you should file an AR-11 within 10 days of any move.