Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was denied citizenship based on the fact that I have a…

Customer Question
Hello. I was denied...

Hello. I was denied citizenship based on the fact that I have a marijuana conviction from 1974. After that conviction I had it cleared. My advice from my lawyer long ago was that if I'm ever asked if I've ever had a conviction the answer is 'no'. I need legal advice on what I can do to rectify this issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not since denial which I just received today

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet looking to find one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. that's the basis of all of this

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 22 days ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Were you denied because you lied about it and said "no" or because of the conviction? Do you have a copy of the decision that you can attach here?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I guess it was because I said 'no' which my lawyer long ago who cleared my conviction said I should do
He said the basis of being cleared of a crime is that after you've been cleared it's like it did not happen

Unfortunately that does not apply when it comes to immigration matters. For immigration/government matters, they will always be able to see any conviction you have ever had so you must always be honest. Your lawyer gave you bad information. At that time, he may not have known because the laws were not as strict. Now you have to admit to everything because if not then USCIS can deny you based on having bad moral character for lying. Unfortunately it seems that is what has happened here.

You have the option to pay again and apply all over again and this time make sure to disclose about the arrest in the application and give all the information about it. If you have documents about it, submit them and if you don't you will have to contact the criminal court it happened in and ask them to give you a letter stating that the record is no longer available. Write a letter with your application explaining that you previously did not disclose the conviction because your attorney in the 1970s advised you that it was not necessary since it was closed and you thought that applied to immigration authorities as well.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

--------

HI again, I see that you were able to view my answer. Did you have other questions?

Please note that I wish I had better news but you can definitely reapply. Hope you can understand that I don't make the news and I cannot change the laws. I hope you can rate me based on my service and not on good or bad news.