Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have some question about card - removing conditions. Just…

Customer Question
Hi I have some...

Hi I have some question about green card - removing conditions

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Just need a consultation about which documents to submit

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The question is: I and my wife live in different states now, but we spent all vacations together and travel to each other. have all documentation to confirm along with family trips. is it a problem to prolong her GC while we live separately?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/31/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

When does her conditional green card expire? When will you live together again full time?

on october 2018
we do not know yet, we both got jobs in different states
we were living in california, then i moved to Chicago, she is remaining in California
also, how long does it take to receive a new GC ? in average

Thank you for the information. Once you send in the I-751, on average it takes about one year to get the permanent green card.

If you will be living together by October 2018, then it may be better to wait to file the I-751 until right before the GC expires. If you do not think you will, then you can submit it early up to 90 days before it expires.

You must submit all your joint documents even if you are not living together. This includes your joint bank statements, joint tax returns, joint credit cards, joint bills, birth certificate of joint children if you have any.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

For instance, We have documents like a lease agreement for an apartment in Chicago for both names, But she also has her lease agreement only for her name in Los Angeles.
Which documents would you advise to attach?
Which address would you recommend to write as her primary address?
Can we just file all the documents for Chicago address?thanks

She has to file it with wherever she considers HER permanent address because the form is about her. IF she lives in LA then put that address and she should provide that lease and if possible add you to it. If she can't, then provide the CHicago lease as well and explain the situation of living separately.

I hope this has helped.