Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am not from America. I recently came here 3 months ago. My…

Customer Question
I am not from...

I am not from America . I recently came here 3 months ago . My wife was here for 6 years she got her asylum approved . We have a son . But the problem is she moved with an another man and she had a son from him . She wants a divorce . What can I do .

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet I am waiting for my ssn .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about asylum?

She got her asylum approved a year ago . Through her I got the chance to come here . So I can apply for my green card after I stay here for a year . Now the problem is she is asking for a divorce and I am afraid if I do or if she does by default process I might not apply for my green card .

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The question is would I still be able to apply for my green card if I divorce her ?

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/30/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 19 days ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 16 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So you have not been here a year and have not been able to apply for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency yet? This may take a little time to research and I am going out to lunch now, but I will be back soon.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I am not from America . I recently came here 3 months ago . My wife was here for 6 years she got her asylum approved . We have a son . But the problem is she moved with an another man and she had a son from him . She wants a divorce . What can I do ?
: She got her asylum approved a year ago . Through her I got the chance to come here . So I can apply for my green card after I stay here for a year . Now the problem is she is asking for a divorce and I am afraid if I do or if she does by default process I might not apply for my green card .
My question is will I be able to get a green card if I get a divorce from my wife ?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
When will you be back ?