Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am currently 19 years old when i was 10 year old my dad…

Customer Question
I am currently 19 years...
I am currently 19 years old when i was 10 year old my dad got his citizenship and my sibilings and I are permanent residents. I understand we can get citizenshio through derivation I just dont know where to start?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Were you in the US with a green card when your dad became a citizen?

No, I became a permanent resident a little after my dad became a citizen
I would also like to disclose that one of my siblings tried to apply for citizenship utilizing form n-400 and it got denied, because apparently he was already a citizen

Yes, it is correct that you are automatically a citizen as long as you are a permanent resident inside the US and your parent became a US citizen all before you were 18 years old.

In order to get proof of your citizenship you have two choices.

1) directly apply for a US passport in person with proof of your green card and your birth certificate and your dad's citizenship certificate. This is cheaper and faster.

2) In addition to 1), if you also want a certificate of citizenship, then you can submit form N-600. You can find it on uscis.gov. This will take over a year and be more expensive. Many people choose to apply for both and have the passport much sooner as proof but also like to have the certificate for their records.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

For Jen,
When they ask on the application for "proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence' will my permanent resident card be sufficient?

Yes, that is sufficient.

I believe my last question will be, are copies of the documents suffient or do I have to submit original documents, in addition will the documents be returned?

Copies are sufficient. Do not ever send originals unless they specifically ask like for a check or passport pictures.

Hope this has helped and please kindly remember the rating.

Hello again!.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.