Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My girl friend wants to come to the states but we are

Customer Question
My girl friend wants...

My girl friend wants to come to the states but we are getting lost in how. To start what does she need just to visit

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No we have just started looking at the process

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet. I felt that would be best to do when she was here

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We would be interested in full immigration also

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/28/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 16 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Are you a U.S. Citizen? What country is she from? Does she have an amazing job back home? Or does she own a very successful business back home? Or is she leaving minor children behind? If not, then how would she be able to guarantee to a visa officer that she is only going to come to visit and not just marry you and stay?

I am a US citizen. She is Ukrainian. She is in the Armed Forces as a Lieutenant with no children. Truth is she is coming here with plans of future marriage, but I do not want to trap her here.

I understand your problem, but unfortunately, this is probably the most common question I get on this website and no convenient answer. There is no visa available for her to come just to "see if things work out" other than the K-1 fiancée visa and for that you already have to declare you intent to marry. So between the B-2 visitor visa and the K-1 fiancée visa, there is no visa available to do what you want to do. So understanding that, she has applied for the B-2 and been denied? If so, do they know about a relationship with you?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

Has applied for the B-2 and been denied? If so, do they know about a relationship with you?