Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My fiance and I are almost ready to submit our petition. I'm…

Customer Question
My fiance and I...

My fiance and I are almost ready to submit our petition. I'm the petitioner and was a little misguided in my youth.2 cases.1st case is Misdemeanor harassment: strike shove kicked. (Against my stepfather whom i lived with).Adjudicated Delinquent, did probation.2nd case.Felony Motor vehicle theft (set aside)Misdemeanor theft....guilty plea entered and deferred adjudication pending probation outcome on case 1. Dismissed.Have certified court records. CheckIn part 3 2b it asks about arrests or convictions for domestic violence. And in the instructions one of the terms is cohabitates or cohabitated with the victim (most other legal definitions dont make this dv, but uscis does?).For that case i wasn't arrested. Only referred to the DA who decided to go ahead with chargesTheres also a history of uscis not considering juvenile adjudications as convictions unless tried as an adult. As much of the legal system doesn't.Do i tick this box or just handle both under 4? Initially given definitions i checked it, but on reviewing the records i dont think i fall under that category. This is a 129f

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/27/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 28 days ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes, you mus still choose yes about this event to this question and just explain the situation. It should not be held against you but you do have to disclose it.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
it would be a yes to Domestic violence though i was never arrested or convicted?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
For clarification it asks about domestic violence seperately from other crimes. And asks about arrests and convictions for domestic violence. I planned to put everything in the general section.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello?

You mentioned that you were not arrested but you were convicted, correct? Even if it was a conviction as a minor, the question asks for all convictions so the most correct answer is YES. In any case you were going to mention it in another section so mentioning it in the domestic violence section with the explanation is the same effect.

I hope this has helped.