Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend who is an illegal alien and has been in the…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who is an illegal alien and has been in the US for 20 years He has always worked, paid state and federal taxes and also social security taxes. Can you tell me if there is any chance that he can become legal, and /or be able to collect his SS benefits when he retires.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your friend taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No, when they had an amnesty, he applied but did not succeed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your friend talked to a lawyer about this?

No, I think he is afraid to.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/25/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Thank you

What is his marital status? If marries, does spouse have legal status? Does he have children here? Ages?

Did he enter the US legally or illegally?

He is married and has two sons, who have legal status. He and his wife do not, he came into the country illegally

How old are his sons?

They are 15 & 13. He will check with his wife before going further. I have your name, what is your number.
Can you give me an idea if there is a chance for him to get a green card, how long it will take and how much?

Once one of his children turns 21, the child can petition him for his green card. He can start the first part which is a family petition. However, he will not be able to get a green card inside the US based on this petition, like many immigrants do, because he entered illegally. Had he entered legally it would be different. He would need to depart the US to apply and once he does that he will face a bar for having come illegally and staying all these years. At that point he will need a waiver but he needs to have a spouse or a parent with legal status in order to qualify for a waiver. As of now he wouldn't qualify but maybe the law will change by the time his 15 year old turns 21 in 6 years.

Besides this, unfortunately there is no other option for him to get legal status at the moment in the US.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thank you very much for your help

You're very welcome. Please kindly remember the rating with the stars on the top.

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.