Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Two Questions! I have lost my Home country's Passport and it…

Customer Question
Two Questions ! Lawyer's...

Two Questions !

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

I have lost my Home country's Passport and it will take at list a month to replace it I have had a Green Card since 1986. Can I received Travel Documents to allow me leave US for a week or two and return relying on that as well as my Green Card only?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

I DO have a Gtren card.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

For my first question, that is all I want to know.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/25/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will see five stars at the top of this screen. Those stars are important because they are how I earn credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that for me before you leave the site today.

ANSWER: As a Permanent Resident with a valid green card, all you need to use to return to the US is your green card. You do not require a passport to return to the US. Note: The border officer might tell you that you need to get a new, updated green card. This is because the new cards have more security features and expiration dates. So don't be surprised if they tell you to get a new card.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have any additional questions, you are welcome to ask them.

In the mean time, please do not forget to give me credit for helping you today. To do that, you just scroll to the top of this screen, and click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★). Again, this is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

And if you feel like I’ve earned a bonus tip, that is also appreciated!

Finally, if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Given the Trump Administration restrictions on Iranians, also considering I have lived i USA for 42 years; I am a professor of Economics, what other steps, if any, I can take to (almost) guarantee I will have a smooth re-entry to USA? I am hoping tp go to Vietnam in July to attend the wedding of a former student-advisee and Research Assistant.
There are no other steps. As a permanent resident with a valid green card, and no criminal or immigration violations, the gree card is all you need to (almost) guarantee smooth entry.
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for helping you. Do you need more help? If not, please go to the top of your screen and click on 4 or 5 stars.

Thank you!