Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am married to a us citizen, but he left me and he doesn’t…

Customer Question
I am married to...

I am married to a us citizen, but he left me and he doesn’t look for me I struggle living in fear. Is there a way I can obtain my rights for the us? I have every updated documents with my marriage name. I pay my taxes thru a itin number.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Nothing as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am scared

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can I file as abandon spouse
5/25/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What is your current immigration status?

Are you present in the US?

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago

What is your current immigration status?

Did you receive conditional resident status? Or a permanent resident/ green card?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Nothing as yet,I didn’t file any paper work. I am scared
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago

What is your current visa status?

Did you enter the US on a tourist visa?

Where is your husband now?

Thanks for the additional information as this will help me get you the answers you need.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Visa expired
I did enter as a tourist
My husband don’t haven’t contact me in months. Last time we spoke he had just came out of jail.
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago

In order to get back into legal immigration status in the US, your husband would need to petition for you under the I-130 spousal petition, and file a 601 waiver for you.

If he is unwilling or unable to do this, then that means unfortunately that you would remain out of legal status in the US.

This could have some serious consequences for you, such as deportation and potential re-entry bars to the US.

If you have overstayed the expiration of your visa for more then 6 months, then you could be facing a 3 year re-entry bar to the US.

If you have overstayed the expiration of your visa for more then 1 year, then you could be facing a 10 year re-entry bar to the US.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago
In order to get back into legal immigration status in the US, your husband would need to petition for you under the I-130 spousal petition, and file a 601 waiver for you. If he is unwilling or unable to do this, then that means unfortunately that you would remain out of legal status in the US. This could have some serious consequences for you, such as deportation and potential re-entry bars to the US. If you have overstayed the expiration of your visa for more then 6 months, then you could be facing a 3 year re-entry bar to the US. If you have overstayed the expiration of your visa for more then 1 year, then you could be facing a 10 year re-entry bar to the US. I hope that helps!Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones