Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I had a withdrawal at US airport while coming back from

Hello,I had a withdrawal...

Hello,I had a withdrawal at US airport while coming back from Mexico to houston because my AP just expired 2 days ago, they sent me back to pakistan and suggest to apply for L1 visa on which i actually did first AOS and then apply for immigration. i applied the same to get stamp L1 visa at local embassy but they rejected my application and told you already hav applied for permanent residency so L1 visa is not a right option at this stage. My family is in US and they already got EAD and i131 approval but they denied mine i131 however approved my EAD.Any option i have get in again U.S.?
Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the L-1 visa?

It was suggested by a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will proceed if there is any option left for me

5/15/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 16 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

ok

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

When you left the U.S., were you using your EAD or were you maintaining your L-1 status working under the same conditions with your L-1 employer?

When i left the US i had a valid AP and EAD and I already traveled before few times using the same AP. I also applied my renewal in Jan 2018, however in last week my family who is still in US got their EAD and AP approval for one year whereas my i 131 was denied however EAD approved, I am working in a group of companies and still maintaining my job with a company issued my L1, but never applied visa because i got AP in June 2017. the EAD/AP was issued under the same group of company working at the same address but with different name.

Well, unfortunately, you have three options:

1) Apply again for the L-1 (which allows dual intent, so I don't know why they denied you) and prove that when you left the U.S., you were maintaining proper L-1 status and that you would go back to take up proper L-1 status. The problem here is that if you used your EAD to work for anyone else, that may have been the problem that they will argue that you could only work for your L-1 employer to maintain proper L-1 status even though the EAD allows you to work for anyone. If this is the case, then then won't approve the L-1 and you are stuck with the next two options.

2) File an I-824 to let USCIS know that you will be doing Consular Processing so that they forward your approved I-140 to the National Visa Center (NVC) in that regard. This will take a few months and the NVC will need to do some processing which will also take a few months before the forward the file to the U.S. Embassy. It could take 6 to 9 months or more before you can come back to the U.S. to get your green card. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-824

3) You can apply for a Humanitarian Parole to be reunited with your family. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/humanitarian-or-significant-public-benefit-parole-individuals-outside-united-states

I am truly sorry this happened to you, but your options are very limited. I ask that you please not take your frustrations with the law out on me. I am only trying to help, but as I said, the options are limited. I have to run to court for an hour or so, but I will be back later.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the success rate of option 3 and how long after submission of application the process get complete, moreover is my volunteer withdrawal and in-admission into US due to expired parole considered removal proceeding?

I assume that you won't be able to qualify for option #1 because you worked on an EAD?

I asked 3) You can apply for a Humanitarian Parole to be reunited with your family. Here is a link:

I know what you asked about, unfortunately, they do not release statistics as to know what your chances are. I asked if you qualified for #1 or not because if you do not, then you shouldn't worry about your chances because you don't have another choice if you want to come back to the U.S. soon. Because as I said, the only other choice is to do option #2 which can take many months. You can ask that he process be expedited, but there is no guarantee that they will do so. Here are a couple of links in that regard:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter12.html

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!