Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I just got married to a Canadian Citizen. I am an American…

Customer Question
I just got married to...
I just got married to a Canadian Citizen. I am an American citizen. We submitted the paperwork for her change of status, for her to get her green card.Her car, which is Canadian registered, is in Canada. I want to drive it down from Canada to USA. If she were to sell it, she would sell it in Canada.Can I bring her car to America? It is fully paid off and the title is in her name. I do not want to import it.Please let me know:1) Procedures I should take to driver her car across the boarder and what I should tell the officer at the border.2) if I were to import it, what would be required ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/14/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

This does fall under importation as the come is entering the US for an indefinite period of time, not limited to 6 months as a visitor. So she has to follow those rules. The good thing is most Canadian cars meet Us EPA standards.

Does she have advance parole to depart and return to the US?

Will she be in the car at the POE?

Judith

Does she have advance parole to depart and return to the US? NO
Will she be in the car at the POE? No

Then since you do not have title it may become complicated for you to bring it in.

There may also be duty. For her to bring it for up to a year there is no problem but you could be a thief. Even with an Affidavit from her they may not allow you to bring it in other than as an importer.

I would suggest you call the POE you will be going through and ask to speak to an officer. Tell me what POE you will use and I will give you their phone number.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1664/~/temporary-importation-of-a-car-for-personal-use

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/431/~/moving-to-the-u.s.---importing-or-shipping-car-/-vehicle-with-personal-or

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Why would I not be able to drive it down with an affidavit? She’s currently b2 status....

Because once you submit the paperwork to USCIS she is not a B1/B2. She is a pending adjustment and has an immigrant intent. A visitor cannot have an immigrant intent and the CBP most likely will hold the car hostage in Canada because she should have remained in Canada and filed according to the way they think.

I am fatigued trying to have you understand that our borders have become danger zones and now you have to dot your is and cross your ts. I asked you to tell me what port you were going to use and would give you contact info to contact them.

Here is a link find the Port of Entry and call them and ask them if they will let you bring in a car you have no title to.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports

I gave you links, I've told you call. You want me to tell you no problem, you can do it your way and I seriously doubt it based on the links I researched and gave you.

Judith

Tell you what, go ahead and do it the way you want. I opt out. You don't want to hear what a lawyer has to say, you want to hear what you want to do.

Judith

You are very rude and bad at explaining things.

My apologies, the question is now open to another expert to help you. I hope they can explain better and you get the car here.

Best.

Judith