Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have case status "Remove Conditions on permanent resident.

Hi.. i have case...

Hi.. i have case status "Remove Conditions on permanent resident. My extension of authorization to work & travel expired. Now my employer is threatening to terminate me if I can't show them I am authorize to work.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes. Last May 8, 2018 my case was moved to other office

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No, just now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I scheduled an appointment to usci on tuesday to know what to do. I dont wanna be terminated

5/11/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Do you mean that you submitted form I-751 in May of 2017? Did you get a receipt notice when you submitted it?

i submitted jan 2017 i got a receipt. the update was may 8, 2018 moved to other office

Okay, thank you. The Receipt you received in January 2017 extended your status and authorization to work for one year, until January 2018. What you had to do at that time was go to your local USCIS office and take your passport with the receipt notice and they will stamp your passport as proof that your case is still pending. It's okay that you didn't do it. Now you can do it on Tuesday. Take your passport and your I-751 receipt notice and expired greencard. They can stamp your passport and you can show that stamp to your job so that they will not terminate you.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

i can get the stamp on tuesday right away? what if the employer terminated me before tuesday?

Yes you can get it on Tuesday. You can try going on Monday to USCIS and showing your appointment letter. There is a chance that they may let you see an officer on that day if they are not too full. Sometimes they don't even notice the date. You can give it a try. If they say no, then you can return on Tuesday.

Unfortunately whether the employer terminates you or not is up to the employer. Hopefully they do not. Let them know that you will have proof for them on Monday or the latest, Tuesday.

I hope this has helped you and I Hope that you can kindly leave a good rating for the service.

i cant find the "finish by rating: can't click the stars

I'm sorry. it should be on the top now. Thanks!

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
follow up question, my green card id expired April 2017. I applied and sent application on Jan 2017. I applied 90 days before the expiration date of my green card. That is why the receipt date was Jan 2017. The expiration date of the extension should be Jan or April 2018? If i will be terminated do I have any legal recourse?

The expiration of the extension should be January 2018.

If you cannot show your legal status, your employer has a right to terminate you. You may have legal recourse but you would need to discuss that with a labor law attorney.

Line 1 filing jointly i751states:you must file during the 90day period immediately before your conditional residence expires. MyTemporary greencard is my conditional residence,right? It expired 4 /2017. I filed extension and sent payment january 2017. So i filed 90 days before my greencard expired. I dont understand why i should have filed 90 days before date on receipt as opposed to exp date on greencard.

You filed it correctly. You were supposed to file 90 days before green card expired and you did. You have done everything right.

Why is the exp date january not april? Thank you

The expiration date is APRIL 2017, not January. But the Receipt notice is good for ONE YEAR after you receive it. I do not know why. That is just how USCIS does it. In either case, it is MAY now, not APRIL. So in either case you would need to go get a new stamp in your passport.