Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need some advice which I'm going to explain. I got it I'm…

Ok I need some...

Ok I need some advice which I'm going to explain

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ok I got it I'm in NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I don't get started yet

Ok I don't a question I just need some advice at where to start I am Haitian but I am a US lawful permanent green card I would like to get married with my boyfriend which 's also Haitian we planned to do this in December in Colombia but I c9ntacted a notary there they told me it is impossible to get this done if neither of us are not colombian nationality I wanna what to do please .
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/11/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Is your question really about how to get him here to the U.S.? You understand that because you are not a U.S. Citizen the process will probably take about 2 years or so before he can come and he cannot visit during that time?

I want him come to visit while I am waiting to become a US citizen
when I'll become a US citizen how am I gonna get him here to the US

Unfortunately, like I said, he will not be able to come visit during the time that you are petitioning for him. Do you understand?

Ok I understand but now where do I start ?

Well, first you marry. It doesn't matter where you marry as long as it is legal in the place there you marry. So you can marry in Colombia, Haiti, or wherever and USCIS should recognize it. After you marry, you will then file an I-130 to start the immigrant process. Once the I-130 is filed, it will take about 6 months or so to approve, but it will take a total of around 2 years before a visa is available. This is because you are not a U.S. Citizen and you thus are in a preference category that has a limited amount of visas available each year and too many people that apply, so it creates a waiting line. After approval, USCIS will forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for additional processing. Once it gets close to a visa being available, you will get a few letters from the NVC asking for additional fees and I-864 Affidavits of Supports. That process, depending on how quickly you respond, can take 1 to 3 months or so. Then when they have everything they need, they forward everything to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for your spouse to be scheduled for interview. It can take 1 to 3 months for that as well, depending on how busy they are. Your spouse will receive letters from the Embassy telling him what he need to bring in for the interview. At the interview, if he is approved, he would get his immigrant visa stamp at that time and from that point he will generally have 6 months to use the visa to enter. Once he enters the U.S.,. he will get the green card in the mail a few weeks later. Here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/family-based-immigrant-visas.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Ok I read and I understand all things you just said but I contacted a notary in Colombia to get this done they told me it's impossible if none of us has not colombian nationality and they don't do it in Haiti if they do then I don't know where

To do what? To get married or to do the immigrant processes from Colombia?

No to get married
Not to file

That I cannot help you with because that is not a U.S. immigration question. I can only tell you that IF you can legally marry in Colombia, or Haiti, or wherever, and that country recognizes it as legal, the U.S. should also recognize it as legal. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Oh ok thanks

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

I dont see them but I promise I will do that

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Ok thanks

My pleasure.

Hello yes I think I'm done what I'll like to ask I've heard Chile has legalize same sex marriage I wanna know if its true

I can only really answer U.S. immigration questions. Sorry about that.

Ooh ok

No problem.