Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Been married for 2yrs to an american citizen. Am a trying…

Been married for 2yrs...

Been married for 2yrs to an american citizen. Am a trying get my permanent resident but my wife has been struggling with drugs, acohol. Etc. She left me wit our son which i have been taking care of myself. Can i get my green card without her?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet. Was going to but i cant even find her anymore but i have a full support of her parent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thats my question? Wat can i do

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/10/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Ok
Lets just text here
Am waiting

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I am on the phone with another customer. I will be right with you. Thank you for your patience.

Again, sorry about the delay. So you do not even have your 2 year conditional green card? What was the visa you used to enter the U.S.?

I dont have my 2yrs.i entered with a b1 visa.

Ok. Can you prove that she has abused you, either physically or to the extreme, emotionally?

How can i do that? Have been arrested bcuz of her before but d case was dimissed.
She has cheated all through d marriage nd doing drugs nd acohol nd leaving our son.

Well, unfortunately, the only way for you to get Residency on your own through that marriage to the U.S. Citizen is by filing a Violence Against Woman (and Men) Act (VAWA) petition. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/battered-spouse-children-parents

You would have to prove that she physically abused you or that she abused you emotionally to an extreme level. This can be done by police reports, witness statements, video and/or audio recordings, hospital records, medical records, and/or therapist, psychologist or psychiatric reports.

I wish I had better news for you, but at least you know what to do.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Ok. What if i get a statement from her mom or dad abt how she is nd how she abadon her family? Is that gonna help?

Yes, it will help. Will it be enough just to have that? Probably not. But the more evidence you have, the better it is. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

I have couple of pictures of how she destroyed the apartment we both stayed nd i have audio clip of her saying i should take our son nd we should leave her cause she's gonna destroy us. I forgot to tell u she's sucidal too. I have a recorded clip of her abusing me.

Yes, all of that can help. The more you have, the better it is. It's not like you have a choice though. It's either fix the marriage and go forward together, or go on your own and prove abuse.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Ok thanks
Can i hire u? And where is ur location

I'm in Miami. Yes, it is possible to hire me, but you may want someone local in case they want an interview. You can look for someone at www.ailalawyer.com. Please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Uve been helpful

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!