Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Guillermo, I have asked you a question before relating to my…

Hi Guillermo, I have asked...
Hi Guillermo, I have asked you a question before relating to my mother in law and we followed your advice. thank you. Now I have two questions... As I explained, my mother in law is applying again for her green card bc her children (all from Pakistan), who my US citizen husband sponsored, have been provided notice of their residence interviews after over 17 years of processing their sponsorship applications. So here are two questions arising from this: 1. One of them would like to reschedule his appointment at the consulate in Islamabad. How is this looked upon by immigration and how does one do it? It's not very clear. He has an appointment scheduled for jun 2 of this year. He only wants to reschedule it for July. 2. Two of my husband's siblings along with their families, went for their interviews about 3 weeks ago. They kept their passports and requested more information from two of them by email (their social media accounts, work histories, marriages, etc.). We provided the information immediately upon receiving it, almost 3 weeks ago. We haven't heard anything regarding any of their cases yet. Can you shed any light on how long they may take or why they may have asked for this? The two that were asked more information were 1 nephew (my sister in law's on) and the husband of another sister in law. Thanks for helping me answer these questions.
5/10/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello again and thank you for requesting me by name. Personally, I don't like Consular Processing cases and I tend to stay away from them, so my experience is limited. But I can tell you that rescheduling is not frowned upon , at least not the firs time. As to how to do it, I couldn't tell you, but there should be some instructions on the appointment notice. If not, they should be able to contact the U.S. Embassy and ask. The problem is that he may not get July 2nd. He will get whatever they have available and as to when, I wouldn't be able to tell you that either.

As to the other question, that is difficult to say. Could be additional background checks, especially since there has been some tension between the U.S. and Turkey as of late. The U.S. Citizen petitioner can contact their U.S. Congressmen and get them involved to try to push the cases along.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

HI Guillermo, well they are in Pakistan not Turkey, but is there a lawyer you could refer that might have more experience with a more detailed answer to these questions? I don't feel these are sufficient answers or, as you may have implied, due to a lack of experience with them. It's not meant as an offense to you, but based on my need for a more thorough answer. In fact, I'm grateful for your honesty in admitting that you are not as aware of these proceedings as others and prefer not to really entertain them. I didn't know that you didn't take these questions so if possible, please refer me to someone that does. I don't want to pay your fee and another lawyer's fee as your answer to these questions were not detailed enough due to a lack of experience. For example, Though you did mention that they don't frown upon the rescheduling the first time, you were not sure how the rescheduling works. I would like someone that might know more, because I read, the following from the prep for the interview gov. website:
"The visas are numerically limited and must be issued by September 30th of the year." I don't know if there is a risk of them having to wait another year for an interview if they can't be seen by Sep. 30th. Since you may not know or were not apparently aware of this, please refer me to someone else. Again, I don't think the questions were answered with enough knowledge to merit this payment. Thank you for your understanding.

No problem. Good luck.

I'm sorry to bother you, but do you not have a referral for someone else? And will you be charging me for these questions?

When I opt out, it opens the question for other experts. I cannot say when someone will log on and reply. You just have to be patient. Good luck.

Ok, thank you. I appreciate your response.

No problem.