Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a big concern. In many immigration related

Hello, I have a big concern. In...
I have a big concern.
In many immigration related applications, my entry and exit from the United States are asked to be documented in detail.
I have first entered the country in 1974 as a student with F1 visa, later I have married and acquired my green card and then became a naturilized citizen. In order to get the required data, you suggested I apply to Home Land Security and under the Free Information Act, I could get the information needed. And I did open and account and requested a report about my entry/exit information.
My questions are:
Will this report have all my entry/exit data even before I become a citizen?
In the applications, are they asking me to enter this information since I have been in the United States or just since I became a citizen?Thank You,
Ahmet Tankut
5/10/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Since you are already a U.S. Citizen, I am confused. What application are you filling out? For what purpose?

I am going to file DS2029 for my son whose born in overseas but eleigible to aquire US citizenship thru me. And also I am going to apply to start my social securityretirement benefits, and there also required '' price periods spent in the USA''.
I am assuming my complete in and out of the country dates are being required including a few days of vacation trips in Canada and Mexico.
Am I correct in my assumption?This is my situation,Thanks,Ahmet Tankut

You are correct. For the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, they are looking for all your trips outside of the U.S. since you have been in the U.S. even before you became a U.S. Citizen because physical presence in the U.S. in key to that process.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Since I do not have my old passports dating 1970s, I was advised to aquire thru this method, Fredom of information Act thru Home Land security.
My concern is will the final report will have the data to fullfill all the requirements?
Will it show my entry/exit before I became US citizen?
If not, what can I do?Thank You,
Ahmet

That is unknown. You have to wait and see. What is your child's date of birth?

February 1, 2012

Ok. Then don't worry too much. You just have to prove that BEFORE he was born, you lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years and that 2 of those years were after you turned 14. So if all your trips do not show up in the FOIA and the other request you have made, don't worry about it. Worry about proving at least 5 years in the U.S. before your child was born and after you turned 14.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

I have a social security statement showing that I have lived and worked in the USA since 1979.
Well, then I will provide that as a proof required by the DS-2029. That should suffice.
Thanks,
Ahmet

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!