Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Currently we are going to apply for I-485 Green card filing,

Hi,Currently we are going to...
Hi,Currently we are going to apply for I-485 Green card filing, While he was applying for the H1B petition for the first time, the . marital status was mentioned as "single" for DS-160 filing back in August 2012. During that time, he was in the process of getting divorced with his ex-spouse and the court approved it on December 2012. Then he got remarried with me on October 2015. Will this be a problem with for the previous Marital status for the i-485 filing?
5/10/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I assume he will be able to prove that he legally divorced December 2012 and that you married him October 2015?

he was legally divorced with his ex-spouse in India in Dec 2012 and got married with me in India on Oct 2015.

Then as long as you can prove that he legally divorced December 2012 and that you married legally October 2015, then I see no issues in regards ***** ***** marital status and the I-485 eligibility.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you Sir. Also I have another question with regard mine.I am a H4 dependent, We would like to proceed with our GC application. This is my second marriage. My previous marriage was with an American citizen. He filed K1 Visa application while I was in India( prior to our marriage).Then He visited India and married me, left to US.I had to write my status as "single" in the visa document during the interview process. Then I reached US and found out he is a fraud. I left US before my Fiance visa expiry, didn't carry out any sort of documentation in US and divorced him in INDIA.
Will it be a problem in my Green card filing process? Please guide me

If the marriage in India was legal, yes, it could cause a problem that you misrepresented the K-1 visa process when it should have been a K-3 spouse process. You will need to be honest when you fill things out. I strongly recommend that you hire an attorney to process your case.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!