Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife is on H4 Visa and was charged with a petty theft…

Hi My wife is...

Hi My wife is on H4 Visa and was charged with a petty theft today. She is in her postpartum after delivery and she lost her mind and did this. Was wondering what should be the actions on our side so that it doesn't affect our status

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your wife taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Nope she was given a charge sheet by the police

5/10/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Obviously, the best outcome would be a complete dismissal. But just in case, let's go through this.

What is the exact offense code and in which state did this occur?

This is in CA. Where can I find the offense code?

It should be on the charge sheets.

484/488 pc is this something you are looking for?

It should be something like Penal Code 484(a) & 488 PC.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for that. Give me a moment to prepare my answer.

sure

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: This is considered a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT). Generally, a single conviction of a CIMT committed within 5 years of admission to the US, and that carries a maximum sentence of 1 year or more , makes the individual deportable.

So a single CIMT misdemeanor with a maximum possible sentence of six months will not trigger the CIMT deportation, irrespective of when the offense was committed.

In this case, the maximum possible sentence under California law is 6 months. Therefore, this single offense would not make her deportable.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Thanks a lot. how would it affect her future things like green card, and answering DS 160. Do you recommend being represented by a lawyer for the court?

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: It will not make her inadmissible, based on the petty offense exception to inadmissibility. She will still have to answer honestly when asked if she was ever arrested, cited, charged, etc. And she will have to provide certified copies of court records surrounding this offense.

Please give me credit for doing my job by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!