Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was born in Mexico, when I was 7 years old my parents

Customer Question
brought me to Phoenix Arizona...
I was born in Mexico, when I was 7 years old my parents brought me to Phoenix Arizona all I had was a border crossing card visa and a I-94, I stayed there until I was 15 years of age. Then I moved back to Mexico, whey I was 23 I applied for a new Border Crossing Card Visa and it was granted, I then met a US Citizen got married and I am now applying for a green card through adjustment of status I-485 form and all other required forms.
On form I-485 question 72.b. Is asking was I unlawfully present in the USA for one year or more and then departed the USA? I believe I wasDo I say yes or no? If I say yes will my green card be denied? Does the fact that I was a minor and that I had no say in the matter help me? Do I make a statement? I never had a social security number maybe there is no record of my presence in the USA? What do I do?Ahead of time thank you for your help.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/9/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Sound good thank you!

How old were you when you moved back to Mexico?

7 years old
this was in 1998
sorry 2002

It looks like you just requested a phone call?

What year were you born?

1994
im here on my computer, i was not expecting you to answer so quickly!
Hi are you there?

No worries. It just shows me that you requested a phone call. I am not sure if you did or didn't. But if you did, then another expert accepted it. I was not able to.

I am not understanding your timeline. I understand you came to the US when you were 7 years old. Did you return back to Mexico when you were 15?

i came back to Mexico when i was 15 and i did not use the phone call
are you there friend?

Yes, I am here. It does take me a few minutes to respond to you. Thanks for your patience.

ok no problem, i though we got disconnected, so what do yo think about question 72b on form I-485?
Does it apply to me?

Ok since you returned before you were 18, you did not accrue any unlawful presence. Also you came back legally so that is good.

You do have to answer honestly on the form and say YES. Explain what you explained to me in the back of the I-485 , on the last page. Just give a quick explanation that you came with your parents in the year you came _____ when you were 7 years old and that you left when you were 15 in that year ___.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Have you answered yes with one or more of your clients? and What was the result when applying for adjustment of status? Was it granted?

Yes, I have and in that case the person was approved. Every case is different, but it should not affect you negatively with the information you provided me.

Great, any evidence that I would need to take to my interview? Or is there anything else that you would recommend i do?

As far as that goes no. Just take your I-94 and last border crossing card.

Great thank you and have a nice day!

You're very welcome.

Please kindly remember the rating.

?

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.