Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm a teenager who wants to work but is in a tough and odd…

Hello, I'm a teenager...

Hello, I'm a teenager who wants to work but is in a tough and odd immigration spot.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I have. My green card was stolen in 2016. But my family and I filed for an N-600 which was received on March 2017. We are still waiting for it to be approved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not really.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not at the moment

Another info: I got a job, but I'm worried about presenting my SSN card when my forms are still pending.
5/8/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Do you know why the N-600 has been delayed?

I live in Boston and recently found out the average processing times are 14.5 months to 17 months for the Boston USCIS.
Unfortunately, I cannot call because my phone isn't with me.

Well, you have two choices:

1) You can file an I-90 to get a replacement green card and once you get the I-90 receipt a few weeks from now, you can go to the following: https://my.uscis.gov/appointment and make an appointment with a USCIS officer to see them in person and take the I-90 receipt and your passport and ask them to stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 stamp that can used to work and travel for 12 months.

2) You can ask that they expedite the N-600 if you have an urgent or emergency reason. Here are two links in regards ***** *****:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter12.html

If you do not expedite and the processing is not outside of the "normal" processing time, there isn't much you can do.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

For option 1) What if I don't have a passport?

Well, that complicates matters. You should ask your country's embassy or consulate in the U.S. to provide you with one. That may also take a few weeks.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!