Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Judith, I've a question on adopting child from india while I…

Hello, Judith, I've a question...
Hello, Judith, I've a question on adopting child from india while I live in USA on H1B visa. US gov website says the if someone is H1B, technically he/she can not adopt a child from India (who is indian citizen) and bring that child to USA on h4. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Adoption-Process/before-you-adopt/adoption-by-non-us-citizens-living-in-us.html
Is there any exception to this? I do not have green card yet but I might get it in next 2 or 3 years.
5/8/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

I wish I could tell you differently but no you as an H1B cannot adopt a child and get the H4 visa for them unless the child has been in your legal custody in home country of India for at least 2 years.

The lawyer you consulted gave you the correct information.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Ok thanks. Follow up question, what will happen if I get a green card and after that adopt? Does staying with child for 2 years in India still apply?

Same thing, you will need to have the child in your actural physical legal custody for 2 years before your can petition them.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Great, thanks for your prompt response.