Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My ex husband and l have been sharing common addresses in…

My ex husband and l...
My ex husband and l have been sharing common addresses in the state of Florida for eight years... l recently found out that he may be married under Islamic law or some other way and is sponsoring an illegal and her children for a green card... we live together in Florida and we have his home on our license plus share common house hold bills plus we just bought a car together... l called immigration and reported this as fraud... what are my rights as a us citizen and if it is proven that there is any wrong doing can this person be deported or can my ex go to jail... concerned
5/6/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 16 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

If he is your ex, then you are no longer legally married, then he is free to marry someone else, so I don't understand where the fraud is since there is no Common Law marriage in Florida anymore. So where is the fraud?

Then why aren’t they living together
why is he living with me

How could she live with him if she is outside of the U.S.? Or are you saying that she is already in the U.S.?

She is living in the state of New Hampshire with her two children and her mother and she works as a waitress
The father is in Egypt and the kids have not been there to visit in three years

Ok. Then yes that makes sense that he should not be living with you, and they should be living together. And immigration will certainly investigate for fraud that she will most likely not be able to get Residency through him AND in fact she could be permanently barred from getting Residency. Now as far as your "rights", I am not sure I understand what you mean. You divorced from him, so the time to enforce any rights were before the divorce was final. So I am a little confused about what you mean. Are you saying that things were done incorrectly in the divorce?

l have no alimony

Ok, but that doesn't have anything to do with a new marriage that might be fraud. How long were you married? You divorced in Florida? Why didn't you ask the court for alimony? I can tell you that alimony is not always awarded, especially if the marriage was not a long marriage. There are many factors involved. So....how long were you married? Why didn't you demand alimony before the divorce was granted?

He tells me that he does not support her and l found a paper stating that her green card cannot be processed at this tine he also states that he does not want to adopt her kids legally

Yes, he must file an I-864 Affidavit of Support and guarantee to the U.S. government that she will not become a public charge because he would be responsible to pay back the U.S. government for any means-tested public benefit that she or the child uses. He has to file an I-864 for each of them, but none of that has to do with you. I ask again, how long was your marriage and why didn't you ask for alimony before your divorce was final?

I was married 1986 and divorced 2002... but he came back right after the divorce and always were together in order to raise our children and in the past eight years he has been sharing a residency and we still have sexual relationships
He was really tough on me during the divorce and l felt bullied out of asking
He does not want to support her children and dies the father in Egypt have any parental rights

That's what I was afraid of. Often Florida courts to not entertain alimony for a marriage that is less than 7 years old. It seems yours was 6. Di you ask for alimony? What did the court say?

I got upset and called homeland security
I was married 20 years

I'm sorry, I misread it. I thought it said 1996. So yes, your marriage was long enough, but who made more money during the marriage? Do you have more education or does he? Why didn't you ask for alimony? AND, just to be clear, what he is doing with immigration has NOTHING to do with whether you will get alimony or not.

In other words, you cannot tell a divorce judge, "Well, he is supporting his new wife because the government is making him do that with an I-864 and that marriage is fraud, I was married for 20+ years, so I should get support too, right?!" That's not going to work. I just want you to be clear about that.

Ok

So why didn't you ask the divorce court for alimony? You didn't have an attorney? Who made more money during the marriage? Who has more education?

He always made more money he has a masters degree l have a ba

If both of you are highly educated and can work and support yourselves, that's a negative against awarding alimony. How much on average did you make per year? How much on average did he make per year? And I ask again, WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK THE COURT FOR ALIMONY?

Right now l have very little income and l cannot support myself... l realize l made a big mistake but like l said l got threatened

How much on average did you make per year? How much on average did he make per year? And do you think you could prove to a divorce judge that you were threatened not to ask for alimony? How? PLEASE, I have asked 4 questions, please answer all 4 because if not, this is going to take a long time and my time is limited. Thank you.

He said l deserve nothing l made 28 k he made 80k
I think l need to hire an attorney thanks for your help��

Yes, I agree. If you can prove that he forced you to enter into the marital settlement agreement, then you can ask a divorce judge to reopen your divorce case and hopefully they could grant alimony.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to open up my divorce
I want a normal life... and my son also is abusive towards me... funny thing my surname is ***** ***** l am a bilingual Medical interpreter��
Spanish
There is not enough done for mothers 30 years of service....nothing in return

Most family law attorneys will charge per hour for the service, so I can only imagine that they would probably charge $2000 to $3000 or so to start. You might be able to collect that from your spouse if you can prove to the judge that he forced you to sign the divorce agreement.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Thanks but l still feel there is no justice for me as a mother in this society
as an American born citizen
How much do You charge l am 55 years old and very hard for me to start over
Have been burned out and also abused by my children because of this
Physically and emotionally
Good night

I understand, but the type of work that you need done, I do not not. I primarily to immigration law and your solution is family law. Maybe you can find a free pro bono attorney that can help you. Here is a link:

https://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/probono/directory/florida.html

Thanks

My pleasure.