Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am currently on an L-1A visa, and am terminating my

Customer Question
Hi there I am...

Hi there I am currently on an L-1A visa, and am terminating my employment and visa on the 29-Apr-2018. On the same day, I will be leaving the US to officially "exit the country". On the 01-May-2018, I intend to return to the US to finalise my affairs. I want to return on an ESTA as I am an Australian citizen.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

The ESTA asks about current employment details, and I am not sure whether I should provide my current US based employer or leave it blank - given that at the time I cross the border, I will be unemployed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

I haven't filed any paperwork or talked to any lawyer about the visa.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/12/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Leave it blank as U.S. employment may cause an automatic denial. Just remember that when you come back, you may need to be prepared to respond to the following:

1) Why are you coming back so soon?

2) Why couldn't do what you needed to do during the last trip?

3) How will you be supporting yourself for this additional time since you are not allowed to work?

4) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

5) What preparations have you made to go back?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!