Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I’m currently an aupair in the US and I mistakenly extended…

Customer Question
I’m currently an aupair...

I’m currently an aupair in the US and I mistakenly extended my program for 6 instead of 12 months and the department of State says there is nothing that can be done to ractify this mistake,would there be any other way I could stay longer as an aupair for my current host family?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No none yet... I just didn’t know what steps I had to take

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I plan on applying to college though that course would take longer than what my DS2019 allows

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/3/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

Hi there,

First, please accept my sincerest apologies for the long delay. I have been on the phone with customer seeking Additional Services and it took longer than expected. Thank you for your patience.

Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind that my job is to provide you with information, whether the outcome is what you had hoped for or not. Only telling you what you to hear is not the purpose of this site and it doesn't do you any good. So if you are upset about the outcome but the quality of my customer service is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. If you need more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, no. There is only one program or visa type that is available for an au pair: the J-1. And you cannot just use some other visa type for the purpose of working as an au pair.

I think your best bet at this point might be to apply for a change of status to B2 visitor to buy you some time after the J-1 ends, and then to apply for a change of status to F-1. Ideally, going from J-1 to F-1 would be the best thing to do. But if timing is an issue, perhaps the J-1 to B2 to F1 is the way to go.

I will say that the USCIS is suspicious of people who go from B2 to F1; especially if it happens fairly quickly. So keep that in mind, when timing out when you plan to apply.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help?

Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Thank you!